Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Defeating safety switches on newer lawn tractors (seat, reverse, blade, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metalmagpie
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    If you use string heads to mow you will have a lawn that looks like a goat was grazing.
    I modified a tractor-pulled mower deck to use individually-clamped strings. The strings were nearly 1/8" thick. The problem with a blade was that when it hit a rock it would deform the blade edge. And the field that was being mowed had lots of rocks, apparently. The mower deck with strings did about as clean-looking a job as the old blade did. Since then the guy has modified it again to use wire instead of string.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    Part of the problem of course is that no one keeps track of the accidents that didn't happen as a result of the safety devices. If we did we might not view them so negatively. Some years ago I owned an iron worker and every time I looked the guard was removed. Each time an employee would show me how the guard made it impossible to do the job. Instead of removing it I designed a new one that allowed the work we did to be done safely.

Lots of people warned me I'd be sued if someone got hurt despite the new guard. My response was "So it is okay to have an employee lose fingers or a hand while I can't be sued?" However some years later I was sued when someone got hurt on a machine I supposedly built with no guards. I learned then that as an employer I could NOT be sued as the worst that could happen was a Workmans Compensation claim. That employee was however entitled to sue everyone else. It cost me a bundle and could have been much worse, if I hadn't been able to prove that the machine the guy got hurt on was a copy, not the one I built, with guards!

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Uzing stri g trimmer heads to mow gras is not going to give you a nice clean cut. I had a push string trimmer with a 5hp briggs & stratton engine. We used it to trim fence lines. It used individual pieces of string clamped in the head. If you use string heads to mow you will have a lawn that looks like a goat was grazing. I have more pride in how my place looks to use such a device.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    When I had my Cub Cadet 1512 diesel tractor, I was frustrated by the reverse blade interlock, and I asked on "MyTractorForum" how to disable it. They said that members were prohibited from providing any such information or risk being banned from the forum. I didn't keep the tractor very long, as it was too big for my purposes. I've gotten by without a working tractor for a long time, and I still plan to make a small electric tractor, as well as a 24" dual motor string trimmer.

I have never seen or heard of a tractor (or even power push mower) using string trimmer heads, but I think they would be adequate for most residential grass mowing purposes. It would also be much safer.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    JoeLee is would be good to remember that most consumers have no common sense. So the manufacturers have to protect themselves. I have a commercial golf course mower that has so many safety switches on it that it cuts into my efficiency big time. If I raise the 5 decks the blades turn off so when I back up to turn and I raise the decks to reduce wear on the rollers behind each deck the blades turn off and I have to wait for them to come up to speed to resume mowing. If I would get off the seat to pick up something in my way it would kill the engine. That is not good for the engine because it has a turbo on it and should be idled for minimum of two minutes before shutting of the engine. Two minutes minimum is a long time to sit and wait for me.

I installed my own wiring harness and just lets say now you should have some common sense if you use my mower. The only kills on it now are for temp. and oil, both motor and hydraulic oil temp and low oil.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
    They are just simple microswitches most probably, the easiest solution is to rewire around them.

BUT: Why? Why on earth one would disable them, as the idea is to provide safety and what I've used those lawn mower tractors, they are not of nuisance. Sure I need to restart after I get up, but so what? Takes all of 3 seconds to do so.
    Why because their a big pain in the ass, that's why. I don't need the government making things that are supposed to be safer for me to operate. In my yard I have to back up a lot when I cut the grass, I can't imagine the blades shutting off every time I back up.

JL........

Leave a comment:

• Stu
    replied
    My Toro GT2300 has a button built into the ignition switch to bypass the reverse cut out. I use it for mowing and snow blowing. I don't mess with the seat cut out though. Stu

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    You ask this question on the John Deere forum and people refuse to answer it. My dads GT 235, you have to hold a switch to keep the mower going while moving in reverse. My 285 will quit unless I set the parking brake, my 140 only has a safety on the Forward / Reverse lever. Safeties are annoying

Leave a comment:

• gone2tn
    replied
    Well Bill I'm sure you must have gotten your problem solved by now but in the event you haven't the easiest thing to do for the seat safety switch is to buy and new one P/N 925-04040/ or 725-04040 about $11 + shipping on ebay), disconnect the connector from the seat switch and connect it to the new one then put a tye wrap (or something) to keep the plunger depressed. I just purchased a nice 2006 LTX1050 with less than 200 hrs. and that's how I solved the problem and here is why.
    The connector has 2 green ground wires, 1 yellow wire that goes to the RMC module and 1 yellow with white trace wire that goes to the brake switch. When the seat is not occupied the contact on the yellow closes providing a ground path to the RMC module which de-activates the module. Also, the contact for the yellow with white trace closes providing a ground path in series with the brake switch which shots out the primary winding of the magneto.
    Now, that being said you would think that all you would need to do is unplug the connector BUT au contraire, the connector also has contacts such that when the connector is unplugged a tiny jumper inside the connector shorts out all of the connects and acts as if the seat is empty. If you try to put jumpers in the connector you risk the chance of damaging the tiny jumpers inside. Also by using another connector you can always put the connector back on the seat switch.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by RonGinger View Post
    My 12 year old grandson wanted to use my John Deere mower. I let him try, but he was not heavy enough to trip the seat switch, so I would not let him do it on safety grounds.

Later that summer he was up and I see him riding the mower. He came up and said he was heavy enough now, so I let him mow.

I later discovered a big flat rock he had found and loaded onto the seat.

I think he got away with that for 2 or 3 visits before I found the rock.

Smart Kid, Reminds me of the folded napkins I used to stuff into my shoes to get on carnival rides.

All the safety switches are gone on my mower. It would be a very frustrating time if the blades, or motor stopped every time I got out of the seat or put it in reverse.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    I drove a lawn mower into the pond when I was a kid. It was nice and clean when they pulled it out!

Leave a comment:

• sasquatch
    replied
    Smart KID!!!!

Leave a comment:

• RonGinger
    replied
    My 12 year old grandson wanted to use my John Deere mower. I let him try, but he was not heavy enough to trip the seat switch, so I would not let him do it on safety grounds.

Later that summer he was up and I see him riding the mower. He came up and said he was heavy enough now, so I let him mow.

I later discovered a big flat rock he had found and loaded onto the seat.

I think he got away with that for 2 or 3 visits before I found the rock.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    On my "assembled in the USA" Husquana zero turn mower I can and do mow in reverse when needed - its was the same on my previous USA-made Simplicity and Toro mowers.

If the mower skirt is fitted and is say its normal 1 1/2"or so off the ground (with side ejection) it is highly unlikely that any child that gets in the way in any direction will get past the skirt to the spinnining blade/s.

If being in reverse is the concern I'd be more concerned about the differential and its belt and pulley hitting the child.

My mower has no differential or front end linkakes (which can make a mess of a child too) nor does it have a steering wheel.

Each hydraulically-driven rear wheel is indendent of the other and each can go from full-ahead to full astern with no worries and because the front end is on castors the mower can turn in its own length - no gear changes and backing and filling - and no "clutch" or gear-box either.

It can cut around a 15" tree/circle in one go.

Leave a comment:

• lwalker
    replied
    Simply put, many people are idiots.

It seems that every year you hear about at least one little boy/girl who got a hand or foot chopped off because Grandpa/Dad was mowing with the kid on his lap and he/she fell off and was run over. I had a neighbor with a commercial-sized John Deere mower who would mow with an infant on her lap.
    Those are the people this kind of "safety" feature are intended for.

As I said earlier, my mower has an ignition switch position that will defeat this feature. You have to turn the key to the "Run" position, then back towards "Start" to allow the blades to run when the transmission is in reverse so it can't be selected accidentally. I use it for exactly the reason you mention. My kids aren't even allowed on the same side of the house that I'm mowing.

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Simple question, not ever having owned or used a ride on mower.

In the UK we have window boxes for lawns.

Why do they not want you to mow when reversing ? Surely there are some area's you can only get to in reverse without a lot of faffing about ?
    Last edited by lwalker; 01-27-2013, 07:16 PM. Reason: clarification

Leave a comment:

Working...
X