X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I made the plunge!

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Well, it's about damn time.
    Seriously, you will never regret it. Enjoy it, and be safe.
    Jim H.

Comment

Once you get used to it don't ever get rid of it,a good torch outfit is like a drug!
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Amazing,
        I am not a regular on this board, just dropped in and saw the post. No way you can get an acetlyene tank loaded in an SUV in this town, or the trunk of a car for that matter. Too many people have been killed by explosions due to gas from lying the bottles on their side in enclosed vehicles. Ask Air Liquide, I think they got sued heavily over one of them.
        Glad you and yours made it home safe.
        A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

The same goes for ordinary 20lb propane tanks. They are supposed to be upright and not inside the vehicle. Not really a problem here since everyone drives a pickup. How do they do it in the city???
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

It was probably a Ford SUV. If it blew up, they could blame the tires.
            None of the distributors around here will load a tank in an enclosed vehicle. I built a tank carrier for my truck. It takes about 5 minutes to bolt it in and I can cary 4 120's safely.

Comment

Evan
              Yeah, DOT regulations state they have to be transported upright in open air. Inside a car is a strict no-no. Pick-up or stake bed truck is the prefered method.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 11-16-2003).]

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the same applies to the good old gas can. The same dangers are involved.
                  My experience is that the dealers will not load them in your vehicle. They give them to you and walk away.
                  Jim H.

Comment

Comment

I was referring to transporting a gas can, for carrying gas for your lawn mower.
                      The dangers involved are in a collision, or sudden maneuver that results in the object being tossed about.
                      Jim H.

Comment

Comment

All this scare talk about oxy-acetylene tanks etc. is over doing it a lot. Obviously all the dangerous things can happen but it is also obvious that there are hundreds of thousands of oxy-acetylene rigs lying around and used by the most ignorant, abusive people on the planet every day. Just go to a scrap yard or almost any shade tree auto repair place and you will see hoses half burned through, valves that look like they were dragged behind a truck, broken glass on gauges, torches used for hammers and bottles in every orientation other than upside down. If the hazards mentioned here were half close to as serious as they are made out to be there would be dead bodies in the street and explosions like pop corn. Be careful but give it a rest.

Comment

You are so right Cass. Those statements apply to many other things too. Eye protection like safety glasses and face shields, safety shoes and so on.
                            If things were that bad, there would be lots of one eyed, one footed people running around too.
                            Screw it, accidents only happen to the other guy.
                            Jim H.

Comment

Once you have seen the destruction that blown up tanks can cause first hand, you would think twice about not thinking it is a serious matter.Oh and by the way, they only found some of the body parts, and parts of the building that was leveled were found as far as two blocks away. I have my tanks picked up and delivered by my supplier which is only 3 0r 4 times a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X