Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcgyver
    replied
    so are we supposed to bow when BF enters?

Leave a comment:

• Gordon DK
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    If anyone wonders how I know stuff like this then it's because I visit exhibitions and know quite a few of the dealers and manufacturers of several brands.

Actually we didn't wonder.
    "We"? Reminds me of Queen Victoria's famous remark "We are not amused".
    Royalty never refer to themselves as "I".

Leave a comment:

• tlfamm
    replied
    RE: Insize

In the States, some Insize products are carried by Wholesale Tools:

http://www.wttool.com/

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    If anyone wonders how I know stuff like this then it's because I visit exhibitions and know quite a few of the dealers and manufacturers of several brands.

Actually we didn't wonder.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon DK
    replied
    Originally posted by taydin View Post
    Didn't get any shop time in the past week, so the last thing is that the dial bore gauge doesn't seem to indicate the correct diameter. I wasn't expecting for the dial bore gauge to be spot on, but it should have been within 0.1mm or so. The problem might be the depth of the pocket. It is currently 8mm, which seems to be marginal. I will increase that to 10mm and try again.

In the meantime, I have found out about an Austrian brand that carries a lot of stuff that I have been searching for. The company is Insize. Headquarters are Austria, but it seems manufacturing is done in China. Bought a 50-75mm OD micrometer for $40. At home, I checked it with my 50mm Mitutoyo reference rod and it yielded exactly 50.00mm. Not as cheap as the ones that a Chinese farmer hammered out of soup cans, and not as expensive as a Mitutoyo. They even have the telescoping gauges! Would love to hear other people's experiences with this brand...
    I know the company INSIZE and the products are made by a Chinese company that isn't exactly popular with other Chinese manufacturers. I think the dislike had more to do with their sales methods than having an inferior product.
    I doubt if they still have but their agent in Austria was in fact English and before moving (?) to INSIZE had worked for Moore & Wright in England.
    I last spoke to them at an exhibition in Germany. The Chinese at the stand were definately NOT working for the agent. Vice versa.
    They don't seem keen on writing who owns the company or where HQ is based.

http://www.insize.com/
    http://www.insize.com/about.php
    http://www.insize.com/buy.php

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• taydin
    replied
    Didn't get any shop time in the past week, so the last thing is that the dial bore gauge doesn't seem to indicate the correct diameter. I wasn't expecting for the dial bore gauge to be spot on, but it should have been within 0.1mm or so. The problem might be the depth of the pocket. It is currently 8mm, which seems to be marginal. I will increase that to 10mm and try again.

In the meantime, I have found out about an Austrian brand that carries a lot of stuff that I have been searching for. The company is Insize. Headquarters are Austria, but it seems manufacturing is done in China. Bought a 50-75mm OD micrometer for $40. At home, I checked it with my 50mm Mitutoyo reference rod and it yielded exactly 50.00mm. Not as cheap as the ones that a Chinese farmer hammered out of soup cans, and not as expensive as a Mitutoyo. They even have the telescoping gauges! Would love to hear other people's experiences with this brand...

Leave a comment:

• Gordon DK
    replied
    Originally posted by MrSleepy View Post
    And you have to remember that the first 25.4mm is actually 7 inches...
    With that remark I can't resist this 'un

I hear the US is moving towards metric - inch by inch.

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• RLWP
    replied
    Meh

Richard

Leave a comment:

• Gordon DK
    replied
    Originally posted by RLWP View Post
    Is it safe for me to say that I do actually use a vernier caliper to measure bores for fitting bearings yet?

Richard
    Of course it's "safe" but I don't know as how I'd want to buy if you sell what you make

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• Gordon DK
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
    Gordon, I'm sorry for the rude outcome that I did to you, so my apologies. Its just these damn cold mornings here that are not nice

Though I stll want to point out that nobody (else) suggested using (just) calipers, it was the OP who used them. While they are not accurate to the 0.01 mm in their readings, they can be used to transfer the dimension so it is easy to measure with a micrometer. Been there, done that hundreds of times, got the T-shirt

Again, I do apologize for my bastard behavior and welcome you!
    Jaakko, no apology necessary. Even on a good day I can be a PITA It's below zero here too.

I've been in Finland twice and loved both the country and the people

Gordon
    Last edited by Gordon DK; 02-07-2013, 06:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RLWP
    replied
    Is it safe for me to say that I do actually use a vernier caliper to measure bores for fitting bearings yet?

Richard

Leave a comment:

• Jaakko Fagerlund
    replied
    Gordon, I'm sorry for the rude outcome that I did to you, so my apologies. Its just these damn cold mornings here that are not nice

Though I stll want to point out that nobody (else) suggested using (just) calipers, it was the OP who used them. While they are not accurate to the 0.01 mm in their readings, they can be used to transfer the dimension so it is easy to measure with a micrometer. Been there, done that hundreds of times, got the T-shirt

Again, I do apologize for my bastard behavior and welcome you!

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Back to the title of the original post in this thread which is:

ID micrometer, is it worth buying one?
    And from the texr of the post:

Originally posted by taydin View Post
    I am currently making seats for 8 bearings, like the ones below. Made the first one, but really struggled with measuring using my caliper. I needed to spend several minutes seating the caliper properly, getting the right feeling about the caliper position and reading the dimension. This first one ended up being a nice tight fit.

So my question is, will buying an ID micrometer make things easier? Based on how those look, it seems I will still need to spend several minutes positioning the mic to the hole, getting that right feeling and making the measurement.

For others: is it worthwhile for the OP to buy an inside micrometer - or not?

For the OP:
    the decision is yours alone.

Leave a comment:

• MrSleepy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon DK View Post
    Thanks for the welcome folks . To change from mm to inches divide by 25.4. Don't use any other method

Gordon
    And you have to remember that the first 25.4mm is actually 7 inches...

Leave a comment:

• Gordon DK
    replied
    Thanks for the welcome folks

As I live in Denmark (originally from Scotland) I didn't take the "warm" welcome too seriously although as he is from Finland it did surprise me They had to be neutral for decades so I guess he was just letting of some steam

On the subject of caliper accuracy (and it happens to be another of my specialties) then this might interest some. To change from mm to inches divide by 25.4. Don't use any other method

http://www.f-m-s.dk/DIN862+863.pdf

Gordon

Leave a comment:

Working...
X