A stroke of genius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stroke of genius

Today I had one of my rare great ideas. I was working on one of the model trucks I often make and I opened one of the little cans of model paint I wanted to use. The paint had separated and gone lumpy so it obviously needed a good mix up. Then, inspiration struck -- I'll tape it to the blade of the sawzall, that'll shake it up good.

It took less than a second for the lid to fly off. You wouldn't believe how far a couple of tablespoons of paint will go. Now I have black polka dots of varying size all over me, the floor, the wall, the window, the bench and some tools. The words "clumsy bastard" sprang immediately to mind.

John Clements

too funny.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Dalmation 101. At least you beat John to the clumsy bastard bit. Peter
      The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

Originally posted by john clements View Post
        Today I had one of my rare great ideas. I was working on one of the model trucks I often make and I opened one of the little cans of model paint I wanted to use. The paint had separated and gone lumpy so it obviously needed a good mix up. Then, inspiration struck -- I'll tape it to the blade of the sawzall, that'll shake it up good.

It took less than a second for the lid to fly off. You wouldn't believe how far a couple of tablespoons of paint will go. Now I have black polka dots of varying size all over me, the floor, the wall, the window, the bench and some tools. The words "clumsy bastard" sprang immediately to mind.

John Clements
        One of my workers in Texas put a gallon can of Emron in my paint shaker and didn't put the lid clamp on the can. The lid came off and he opened the lid on the shaker to see what was rattling around and proceeded to get himself and a ten foot radius painted. When he opened the lid the kill switch stopped the motor but not before it had cycled enough times to cover him.

I was pissed because it was a $300 can of paint.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Epic John!

Please do it again with video running.
          I'll buy the paint.
          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

two words: Variable-Speed

I think you are on to something. Now you one way not to do it. please video the other ways you come up with, I will hold your beer.

Comment

There are specialty stores that sell Vibrators--might work
              Last edited by Stepside; 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM. Reason: fat fingers

Comment

This thread should have been in the Jokes and Stories thread. No - on second thought, it is too good for the Jokes and Stories thread. Best laugh I have had all week.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Not hijacking, but I had a similar stroke(?) of genius some years ago - before CAD. I employed a couple of guys as controls designers drawing ladder logic on 24 X 36 sheets. One guy had a bad day. I was correcting blue prints, marking them up with a red felt-tip pen. It got so bad that in a fit of pique, I took the eraser out of my power eraser motor and chucked up the felt pen. It worked pretty well until the pen suddenly skewed off center and the centrifugal force began slinging the red ink out of the felt - on the desk, on the wall, on the ceiling, on my shirt, on my face. Hahahahahaha.
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Oh hell I just got off the floor LMAO !!!

Comment

As a first year teacher (1965) I encountered the students entertaining themselves with rattle can paint and a lighter. It does make quite a show but could be dangerous to the bystanders,

To convince them it was not safe, we got a bunch of scrap wood from the school woodshop and started a small fire out beyond the bus barn. We laced the wood with 10 or 12 partial cans of spraypaint. We got what we thought a good distance back and waited. When the first can blew up and spattered a few students there was a rather hasty retreat. After all the ensuing explosions we examined the bus barn which was about 50 feet from the fire. The brand new, once every 15 years, white paint job was splattered with a bunch of different colored dots.
                      Once back in the classroom we decided that fire and spray paint could be dangerous and secondly we would wait to see if any of the administration would find our paint job. Using the bus barn as a distance would have been a stroke of genius if I had thought of it beforehand.

Comment

Thanks! I haven't laughed so loud and hard in years. I nearly lost my teeth.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Was sitting in a restaurant on a long bench seat. Five, six tables maybe along it. Got my breakfast and grabbed the ketsup, checked the lid, then gave it a good shake. The top flew off and there was ketsup all down the seat, across the tables, on me- might even have got some on my plate. The waitresses were pretty good about it.

Don't really have a good paint story-
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I can't really chip in to this thread because I have already been there and got the tee shirt, literally.

Read this thread from 2007.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/23250

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The sawzall is a good for rattling spray cans that have sat for a while

Regarding fire and spray cans: No risk of explosion unless you heat the can itself (as in that fire&cans demo). There is no air inside so it won't 'suck it in' and explode.
                              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X