alibre question on importing geometry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alibre question on importing geometry

I am still on version 12.1 (I need to update it, and have current maintenance, but have not got the permissions straightened out)

So, I need to make a model of a complex assembly. I HAVE everything in Autocad already, and can import DXF or DWG of the various parts in 2D which I wanted to at least use as a base to extrude, etc, and get a head start on creating parts.

I THOUGHT it was possible to do that.

I CANNOT seem to get it to work.

I have imported a part in the flat , but when I do that, I get tossed permanently into 2D workspace, and I cannot seem to get it to ever behave like a completed sketch.....or get it to move to the real sketch space.

If I sketch it out of part workspace, naturally I can do whatever I want. But if I have to do that for each and every separate individual little part, I'll have to just quit on this, because that will take many many more hours and the results simply will not be worth the effort.

I'd have to first dimension every hole and feature on every Autocad part, and then laboriously define each and every one of the 50 parts in the (not super-good) Alibre sketch to match the 50 or so dimensioned drawings. It's a LOT more work to do that, more even than if I started fresh, almost.

Is it even possible to do that?

Or is this another "punishment feature", that deliberately won't work this way to punish you for using some other CAD?

It would be super to be able to, and the alibre help seems to say you can. Autocad is FAR FAR FAR easier to use for working out a design....... you have to have every duck in perfect alinement with feathers combed to put the parts in Alibre.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 02-11-2013, 12:38 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this, but I don't know it,, I've read the procedure on their forum a time or two, but not having ever had to do it, I fear it didn't sink in, I do know there are a few threads on their forum which explains this procedure.

rollin'

Comment

I never did join the forum, maybe I should.

I was "pretty sure" too, but the way it behaves, it is starting to look like that isn't so.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

You might try converting your 2d primitives to polylines. I don't think you can extrude 'shapes' that are constructed of joined lines.

Worth a try...

paul
        paul
        ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
        but you may have to

Comment

well, after som poking around I discovered that you need to copy and paste.

When I did that, it didn't want to copy, and then didn't want to paste, and I don't know how I got it to work, but the geometry is in there.

However, it said I could not extrude it.

Not until I exploded it and re-made the DXF then imported, would it do the extrude.

The key here was suggesting the Alibre forum, which I have never messed with at all, assuming that my ancient version would simply get the conventional "upgrade it to something real and then we'll talk" response.

I had forgotten about it totally.

Thanks

With their new pricing, it will be a frost in Rio before I upgrade to a newer version....

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Do you only have 2d drawings in AutoCad or do you have the individual 3D parts also in AutoCad?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

they are 2D, I don't have "Inventor".....

When I was for a semester a student at the local community college (welding) I should have used my ID to get a student version of Autocad Inventor, but I wasn't that clever......

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
              X