Southbend lathe...worth attention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southbend lathe...worth attention?

Here is a Southbend lathe for sale. Just wondering if the price is right.
    (given that it isn't well worn) no closeup pics.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/3606335525.html
    John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

It is nicely tooled and apears in good condition. But it is a model C, which means change gears and no power crossfeed.

If condition is as it appears in the photos, it is overpriced by a factor of two to three.
    Jim H.

Comment

It looks pretty well cleaned up, painted and sporting a new belt. In the background of pic 3 you can see part of another lathe. I'm guessing this was a his restoration project piece. Around here 1600 would buy a lot more lathe and in as found condition this one might bring 500. Even though you could get a lot of enjoyment out of this machine, IMHO in the end you likely will not be fully satisfied with a machine with manual change gears. I lusted for many years not for a bigger lathe, but for a quick change gearbox.

Comment

It is a SouthBend, but non-quickchange, no power crossfeed.
        I'd say start at $400, and then add $1-200 for the nice tooling package, so $5-600 MAX, on a good day, if you're feeling generous.
        At $1600 it's gonna sit for awhile.

Comment

Thanks guys. Around here sellers of lathes think they all have gold bearings!
          ...but then again, so do the buyers.

Comment

Here's another that might be of interest to a collector:

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/3541829652.html

Comment

Or this one! not much for the price.
              http://greenbay.craigslist.org/tls/3539176649.html

Comment

My rule of thumb is a clean basic 9" South Bend lathe model A in turnkey running condition with 3jaw, 4jaw, rocker toolpost, headstock sleeve + center + tailstock center, and tailstock chuck, is worth about $800. With more tooling things go uphill quickly. But when you go from model A down to model B it drops to $500 and to model C (can't do threading) maybe $400. So I agree with the above. The machine pictured is way overpriced. Plus, it has a supershort bed. Recommend you pass.

metalmagpie

Comment

The value I'll leave up to the buyer, but re the Southbend, an antique like that is really not a lathe but more a conversation piece.
                  Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I often check the prices in other locations...relatively local to you there seems to be a $1200 "line in the sand", Sears, another Southbend or two but not as well tooled and similar, all with asking prices of $1200 or so.
                    I guess not completely out of line but I often consider what is within a weekend's easy drive (return trip) and for you I think that means there must be more for the dollar out there.

Comment

John
                      I believe the 500 dollar comments are right on ---for this neck of the woods.
                      I have known several SB's to go for that amount as there seems to be a lot of model C's
                      The model A's with tooling get 800 to 900 in fair condition
                      Rich

Comment

It better be in very good condition for 1600.00.
                        otherwise, pass.
                        my .02

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                          and to model C (can't do threading) maybe $400. S

metalmagpie
                          What they SHOULD bring is $500.

What people ASK for anything Southbend around here is $1000 for a bare lathe, no motor.

And why would you say that a model C does not do threading? It has no crossfeed, but still has halfnuts and leadscrew...... Of COURSE it does threading.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

The short bed is a definite negative, but, assuming it is in good condition, it still would be worth a bit more than the average $500-$600 Model C due to its tooling. The tailstock turret is good for wow factor if nothing else, but the collet set, steady rest, micrometer carriage stops and what appears to be a good set of change gears are not often seen with these machines.

The collet set alone is worth in the $200 +- range, same with the steady rest. It does lack a four jaw chuck and faceplate.
                            Jim H.

Comment

IMO, the owner should keep this one and dump the Atlas in the background.

The lack of QC gearbox isn't a deal breaker, unless you're doing ALOT of threading, one seldom has to change the feed.

Comment

Working...
                              X