Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turning titanium?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Turning titanium?

    I need to make a couple of small parts from 3/16" titanium rod. I've found some 6AL-4V in an appropriate size, and I was wondering how my Geometric die head might handle the threading duties.

    It doesn't seem to have any real trouble with stainless rod of the same size, though I can't recall if I was using 303 or 304.

    I don't, however, want to ruin a good set of dies, or worse, damage a $200 die head in trying. Has anyone tried this? What's an appropriate lube?

    Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

  • #2
    I have single pointed titanium and it is not bad. Just watch your SFM otherwise you will kill your dies right now. Personally, if it is just a couple parts I would just single point them.

    I have used high sulfur cutting oil with good results.

    Titanium is no big deal to machine. Just dont stop cutting and let it rub.

    Comment


    • #3
      Doc I threaded some 5/16 female holes out of the same 6al4v. I even bought the titanium tap and the fancy pink goo for threading titanium. And got the tap stuck on the first hole, locked up tight. I ended up single point threading with a carbide threading bar. All I can say is good luck and keep the part flooded with coolant. 6al4v is one of the hardest common titanium’s out there.

      Comment


      • #4
        That alloy is tough, and it'll work harden if you look at it cross-eyed.

        For external threading, I would not use a Geometric die head unless you bought new chasers that are ground specifically for that material. They would need increased hook and back relief grind. Better to single point it, though I'd be using carbide insert threading so I can stay heavy on the depth per pass. If you are using HSS, keep the cutting speed down to about 15-25 sfm, and don't take less than .002" depth per pass.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jeremy13 View Post
          Doc I threaded some 5/16 female holes out of the same 6al4v. I even bought the titanium tap and the fancy pink goo for threading titanium. And got the tap stuck on the first hole, locked up tight. I ended up single point threading with a carbide threading bar. All I can say is good luck and keep the part flooded with coolant. 6al4v is one of the hardest common titanium’s out there.
          i have done a lot of with with titanium and have never encountered a special tap for it. I have had no problems with normal high speed taps. What was different about the tap?

          Comment


          • #6
            Use coolant. Cutting titanium generates an astounding amount of heat. And you don't want it to catch fire. Wicked sharp HSS will work about as well as anything, I think.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SGW View Post
              Use coolant. Cutting titanium generates an astounding amount of heat. And you don't want it to catch fire. Wicked sharp HSS will work about as well as anything, I think.
              Agreed, standard safty warnings, titanium is somewhere inbetween aluminum and magnesium as far as fire hazards go. Kinda hard to ignite but be afraid if it does! Consider getting the chips outta the house ASAP if they are going to end up mixed with other metals/oils/etc.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

              Comment


              • #8
                I ran many feet of titanium through multi spindle screw machines in my youth, and sawed, milled and turned it later. If you can work with stainless steel you can work with titanium, the issues are mostly the same. In the screw machine shop we had one fire, caused by a broken drill.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tdmidget View Post
                  i have done a lot of with with titanium and have never encountered a special tap for it. I have had no problems with normal high speed taps. What was different about the tap?
                  OSG 312 series http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNPDFF...4213&PMCTLG=00

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X