Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A-side from measuring, what else do you use your calipers for ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A-side from measuring, what else do you use your calipers for ?

Had a pair with carbide tips, would use them to rough layout things from time to time (they where shop owned).
    18" pair are good "back scratchers".
    6" for cleaning under my finger nails.

Seen some people online use them for shop made DRO's.

_
    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

One is a DRO for the Z , on my micro mill.

Occasionally I use one as a scribe when laying out parts.

I cut one down to 1 inch and use it for a depth gauge.

I removed the depth gauge tang from another so it can be used in tighter spaces.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I use mine as a marking gauge pretty often - the outside jaws are hard enough to make a light scratch.

Sometimes, it's a calculator substitute

I modified the end of one to use it as a height gage for guitar frets
      Last edited by Frank Ford; 02-13-2013, 02:38 AM.
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

Best swarf hooks ever made, always close and handy.

Comment

Hmmf, First and only time I've ever disagreed with Frank. But I use my calipers only for what there designed for. I didn't spend what I have on the best metrology equipment I can afford to not do so. In a commercial shop like Franks where time is money? I'd probably do the same as him.

Pete

Comment

Just leave them laying about in various places. They make you look intelligent.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by uncle pete View Post
              Hmmf, First and only time I've ever disagreed with Frank. But I use my calipers only for what there designed for. I didn't spend what I have on the best metrology equipment I can afford to not do so. In a commercial shop like Franks where time is money? I'd probably do the same as him.

Pete
              What about the $20 chinese calipers? I wouldn't mind scribing with those.. if I bought a 2nd one of them and one was already a little beaten up, that is.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

LOL, Good point. I have some free ones that I'd use to clamp parts while soldering. They ain't much good for anything else. My solar powered and dial Mits won't be seeing that kind of service though.

Pete

Comment

They also make good substitute coffee stirrers when you cannot find your 6" scale.

Comment

Measuring, scribing, calculator/converting " to mm, and the best use of all. Pulling slivers. Seriously, they work great.

Comment

I keep a bit of conduit pipe slipped over the end of mine for when I need to loosen the bigger nuts.

Comment

Just wondering - anybody use them as an emergency beer bottle cap remover?

Comment

My oddleg calipers get a good workout as scribes.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Neill View Post
                            I keep a bit of conduit pipe slipped over the end of mine for when I need to loosen the bigger nuts.
                            Ha.... You beat me to it. I was going to suggest "precision adjustable wrench"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                              Measuring, scribing, calculator/converting " to mm, and the best use of all. Pulling slivers. Seriously, they work great.
                              I have deticated tools for that. the sliver pulling that is. Very critical work!
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X