Shop safety concern.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop safety concern.

I returned from NAPA and put a couple of cans of Starting fluid on the shelf in the shop. When I came back a couple of hours later and opened the door the strong smell of either greeted me. My shop is tight enough that could reach explosive level. It is heated by central heat furnace which could initiate it.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Scary, place them individually in a plastic bag and then open and sniff - empty the bad one outside and then pitch it, or keep them all outside in a well ventilated shed.

Comment

Duly noted. Thanks for the heads up!

Comment

Similarly, I had a can of spray layout blue develop a pinhole leak. I kept smelling something in the shop and couldn't determine where it was coming from. Eventually I found the can with a tiny pinhole. I've also had spray paint cans develop leaks after sitting for long periods. My next home will have an outdoor concrete storage cabinet for flammables. Meanwhile, now that I know that aerosol cans can have these issues I am certain to pay close attention to them. That isn't a guarantee of safety, but until I move next year it'll have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by firbikrhd1 View Post
          My next home will have an outdoor concrete storage cabinet for flammables.
          It's nice to live in FL.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

If you do a storage cabinet, make sure the top is free to blow up. This way in an accident all the force and stuff goes up and not sideways.
            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Double ditto on the outside storage for flammables. You can buy aluminum lawn buildings in various sizes at most lumber yards or home supply centers. They are reasonably priced but you may have local codes to contend with as per anchoring them so they do not fly around in windy weather. They are well worth the price in piece of mind.

I would NOT rely on a plastic bag to contain an escaping gas. It would take only a slight internal pressure to break the seal and you have no guarantee that the bag is air tight to begin with. I was searching for a local bank box that was guaranteed water proof for storage of some valuable papers and was shocked to find that none of the banks in my area, which is only a couple of dozen feet above sea level, have water proof vaults. Some of them actually suggested plastic, zip lock bags. Duhhh? I wouldn't trust them there and I certainly would not trust them to prevent my shop from becoming a bomb. Do find some outside storage for flammable paints, solvents, and especially for gasoline for your lawn mower.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                I would NOT rely on a plastic bag to contain an escaping gas.

Duhhh? I wouldn't trust them there and I certainly would not trust them to prevent my shop from becoming a bomb.

Just in case that's directed at my suggestion - Im suggesting he put the cans in a bag for a minute or two then take a wiff to find which ones leaking, the small space will concentrate the leak, then he can $hitcan the bad egg after venting all the flammable material outside...

Comment

With all the pressureized cans we have today when one thinks about it, it is a wonder we don't have more leaky ones.

Comment

Yea my shop has tried to burn itself down once or twice. Float valve on motorbike jaming causing a small gas flood on the floor, now always use shutoff valve.
                    Forgot to put the gas cap back on once, stunk when I came back.
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

reminds me of when I was a teen and worked in a truck garage. The driver had a can of starting fluid under his air ride seat. I guess he hit a big hole or dip in road and the seat collapsed enough to come down and punctured the can. He about paniced trying to slow down and open his windows to vent the fumes.Scarey...

Comment

Working...
                      X