Cutting up gas strut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting up gas strut?

I have this cylinder from a desk chair. It clearly states not to cut on it or heat it in three different Languages.

I was thinking about putting it in the mill and drilling .063 hole to vent the gas then cut it open on the lathe. I would appreciate any advice.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

I would just fit it to something, like a tailgate. The gas will magically disappear
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Shoot it from a distance. lol . Im always nervous about these types of things.

Comment

Why do you want to open it? I would proceed with caution, there is High pressure involved. Something in the 600 psi range depending on the dia and length. It could spit out oil or chips at a high speed. The cautions are there for a reason. Mostly for lawyers. Bob.

Comment

What I've done is to start a hole with a small drill bit, 063 is fine, then clamp the tube in a vise using the part that you will throw away later- one end usually. Then get a rag around the drill bit and around the tube and carefully drill until the gas begins to escape. There's going to be oil squirting out with it, to some degree at least. Of course you have to be careful that the rag doesn't catch and wrap up with the drill. A cordless would be a good choice, or at least variable speed. I haven't had any problems with the rag winding up, but why not just be careful-

Anyway, once the gas begins to escape, wait for it to finish and then finish drilling the hole. From here it's a matter of keeping the fluid from getting all over the place. You might drill a second hole at the other end of the tube, maybe on the other side, and have a pan under it somehow to catch all the fluid. Have lots of rags handy- it can be a mess. I usually collect the fluid and store it in old pop bottles. I don't know if I'll ever use it for anything, but it's keeping it out of the environment for now anyway.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Put it in a self-feeding bandsaw and go have a bowl of chicken soup.

Because chicken soup may not help, but can't hurt.

Comment

I'm still having a time understanding why anyone would even want to open one. What is the end goal? Bob.

Comment

I welded on the end butt plate of the one in my chair in the shop that has all the same stickers all over it. They melted and fell off so no worries about them any more. Gas strut still works like it should too.
                Andy

Comment

Get someone who doesn't speak any of the three languages and get them to drill a hole in it.

Is Mexican one of the languages ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

The end goal is to repair the chair. I would like to salvage most of this and I would like to know how it is constructed. The linear movement is not important to me. I think the end that is broken is actually a ball joint and provides part of the tilt motion to the chair. This is 1 1/8 dia. X 6" long so there is not enough volume to contain much gas or oil.
                    Byron Boucher
                    Burnet, TX

Comment

Language is German, English, Spanish in that order. As far as I can tell only the English has the warning about heating it. These are engraved and somewhat hard to read. The chairs are huge and heavy but very comfortable.
                      Byron Boucher
                      Burnet, TX

Comment

Be sure and protect yourself against breathing the spray that comes out. The bandsaw seems the best idea to me, it mounted in vice, and as soon as the saw cuts enough for pressure to start relieving, you have the power cord in hand and unplug to stop it cutting.

Jess

Comment

Not sure if this would work, but what if you got a piece of PVC or steel pipe slightly larger than the OD of the gas strut, drill a small hole in it first, slide the strut inside and drill into the strut through the predrilled hole in the PVC pipe. If and gas, oil, spray or shrapnel go flying they would be trapped in the PVC pipe and only allowed to come out of the ends as the drill b it would be plugging 90% of the hole in the PVC or steel pipe. Rags could be placed at the ends to absorb anything coming out.

Comment

Hey Byron. I dont think you will get much excitement from it. Like the others have said there might be some oil. I wouldn't expect much. The chair small gas filled shocks are more of a sealed unit to control movement as opposed to some heavily charged shocks that require some heavy duty damping.

Id even go at it with a hand powered hack saw so you could keep a shop rag over the cut while cutting. Once the tube is pierced it will vent the gas and whatever oil into the rag and then you could preform any additional tear down that you want.

I think you are good to go and Id like to see the fix after you are done. I have also had to repair some of my desk chairs. After all, its nice to be able to fix our stuff instead of replacing it with a new item right? I learned that from my Dad.

Sadly the current thought these days is to throw out and buy new. Im not a fan of that. Cause really, many of us here have the simple tools (and thats all it takes) to not only fix the house hold items but actually make them from scratch if we desire.

Good for you to take an interest to continue to use the chair with some home grown fixing and more importantly! For ME is that you posted it up here for me to enjoy. I loves me some pics!! Ive been pushing for more guys to post pics. Why??? We all love them. After all, YES, a picture is worth a thousand words (that Phrase goes back to 1911 believe it or not, I was shocked). JR
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Be carefull tried that cut one from chair no oil but when the end came off sounded like a gun shot and left a large dent in the wall!
                              Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X