Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biax 7/EL weird bearing and what I can replace it with (or is this still being made)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biax 7/EL weird bearing and what I can replace it with (or is this still being made)

this is my biax bearing and the balls escape from the retainer from time to time. Lots of gnashing with loud noises.
    I did try to crimp the retainer but they continue to drop out.

I know that Dapra/Biax does not have these for sale so I have to go to the open market.

I don't know how to describe it to do a search. any one familiar with this?

the armature has a bearing on each end.

this is a later biax that has the more common bearings (I 'borrowed' this pic from one of users on this board - thanks!)

Rob
    Rob

Rob if I were you I would take the motor to a small electric tool repair shop and have them repair it for you. That little plastic fan breaks so easily. That bearing is a standard size I believe. You can also call Ed Dyjak. He has been repairing those scrapers for years. He is a neighbor of yours in Milford MI. 248-684-4260. He is a DAPRA Distributor and used to be a repair station. Tell him I said hello.

Comment

Looks like a magneto bearing to me.
      Paul Compton
      www.morini-mania.co.uk
      http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Yes definitely a magneto bearing which in fact is a low cost angular contact bearing.

Unfortunately these come in sizes that are not covered by easily obtainable normal deep groove bearings.

the scraper with the normal bearing more than likely has different bearing diameters.
        An E6 is 6mm bore, 21mm OD and 7 wide
        An E8 is 8mm bore 24mm OD and 7 wide
        An E10 is 10mm bore 28mm OD and 8 wide.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Rich, I'll contact Ed to see if he has these 'magneto bearings'

John and EVGuru, thanks for giving me the correct term. Searching on 'magneto' also showed that mcgyver had a post about these.
          Rob

Comment

Rich, I talked with Ed but no Joy on anything for my scraper.
            Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rmuell01 View Post
              John and EVGuru, thanks for giving me the correct term. Searching on 'magneto' also showed that mcgyver had a post about these.
              they are still available, there's a place in the US, RC bearings or something like that that distributes them. they are one of those miserable organziations that insist you buy through their distributor who quadruples the price, or at least the canuck one does, so i've put it on the back burner. anyway point is you can get, keep googling

Comment

I would replace them with a regular ball bearing then. Maybe a double row sealed bearing. Measure the OD and ID and length and call a local bearing house or Bearings Inc in Chicago

Comment

Rob,
                  The last I heard Motion Industries still supplied them but it carried a different number system and I can't remember it. I've got a sheet of the crossover numbers used by different manufacturers for magneto bearings. What's the ID, OD and width of the existing one? Maybe one of these numbers will ring a bell with one of the suppliers.
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                    Rob,
                    The last I heard Motion Industries still supplied them but it carried a different number system and I can't remember it. I've got a sheet of the crossover numbers used by different manufacturers for magneto bearings. What's the ID, OD and width of the existing one? Maybe one of these numbers will ring a bell with one of the suppliers.
                    the measurements I took are 11.4mm x 18.4mm x 5.6mm (in/out/width) . mind you, I took this from the exploded bearing. and the shaft in the scraper.
                    When I get back from traveling this week, I'll take the good one to applied bearing.
                    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Richard King View Post
                      I would replace them with a regular ball bearing then. Maybe a double row sealed bearing. Measure the OD and ID and length and call a local bearing house or Bearings Inc in Chicago
                      I'm toying with that idea Rich, but the bearing retainers are molded (?) into the scraper.

the groove in the shaft is where the bearing goes which mates to a depression in the upper body of the scraper.

Rob

Comment

No way, that's a loose inner.
                        To make it like that would be loads of work.
                        I did say in post #4 that magneto bearings do not have a readily available deep grooved replacement so you are probably stuck with them.
                        However a set of new bearing will probably outlast the life of the tool.

Tomorrow I'll find a tool I made many years ago for extracting the inner race, just like the one in the picture from magneto's, and post a picture.
                        These had the very delicate Bakelite slip ring behind the bearing so prising off was not an option.

If you get really stuck these people will post to the US.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...-Ball-Bearings

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Now I'm puzzled about the "magneto bearing" designation too. It ought to have a low shoulder on one side (angular contact) and the photo looks like a regular bearing inner. And if the dimensions are fractional metrics it wouldn't be a standard ball bearing either which should be based on metric numbers. Although, were you measuring the ID as the inside diameter of the ball race?
                          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Magneto bearing have a full inner grove as in the pic, can actually go on either way. Cage and balls snap round the inner and the outer has the low shoulder on one side, far more open than an angular contact so the outer can only go on one way for the thrust to work.

Standard sizes are posted in post # 4 and the link in post #12

However there is an E12, E13,E15 and E20 not on that list.

Again none have a direct comparison to normal deep groove bearings because they are usually a lot thinner even if like the E12 there is a bearing with the same ID and OD.

Come on guys it's not rocket science, the question has been answerd

It's a magneto bearing just buy two new bearing - end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                              Now I'm puzzled about the "magneto bearing" designation too. It ought to have a low shoulder on one side (angular contact) and the photo looks like a regular bearing inner.
                              The shoulder is entirely in the outer race. The inner race and ball cage simply fall out of the outer race unlike a conventional angular contact bearing.
                              Paul Compton
                              www.morini-mania.co.uk
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

Working...
                              X