What did I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I buy?

Was pawing through the used tool section of a local shop and found a little box of hand-ground HSS boring bars. Randomly mixed in was this item:

Given the dark-gray appearance, heavy weight, and mirror-finish polished pointy end, I thought it might be a solid carbide dead center. It was individually marked $1 so I shrugged and bought it. When I got it home, I found it mildly magnetic, and the point was able to scratch steel very easily.

I know the above picture is the worst one in the world, but... what do you think? Dead center, or something else? If it is a dead center, can I just chuck it in my tailstock Jacobs chuck?

Hard to say because I can't see the end too clearly, but it closely resembles a diamond dresser for grinding wheels. Is there a dark thing brazed onto the end?

Comment

Part of a broken carbide end mill.?

Comment

Dead Center?

Comment

Punch for an optical center punch?

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan View Post
            Hard to say because I can't see the end too clearly, but it closely resembles a diamond dresser for grinding wheels. Is there a dark thing brazed onto the end?
            There is a second, more obtuse angle near the tip, but it's all one solid piece.

Come to think of it, the included angle is 90°, not 60°, so maybe it's not a dead center after all?

Comment

It's a left hand version of one of these.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Tips for hardness tester?
                Probably carbide as it is also mildly magnetic.
                Either way dont use them as center punch.
                They will shatter in your hand.
                FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Must be my lucky day ------- SJ - forget the tool fool, i'll give you five pounds for that quarter you have...

can come up with the goods tomorrow morning (after I have my coffee)...

Comment

It's an optical emission spectrometer electrode, should be 1/4" dia with a 90 degree inc point made of 99.99% Tungsten, looks like to me anyway!, mainly as I have a box of them that are too short to be used any more, it should feel quite weighty in your hand.
                    Mark

Comment

I know what it isn't, a hardness testing indented. It does , however look like an punch from an optical center punch.Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        It's an optical emission spectrometer electrode, should be 1/4" dia with a 90 degree inc point made of 99.99% Tungsten, looks like to me anyway!, mainly as I have a box of them that are too short to be used any more, it should feel quite weighty in your hand.
                        It is quite hefty for something so small.

So, I got to thinking. Since the extreme tip has a slightly larger angle, the tip will not bottom out in a 90° hole. And, I also happen to already have a 90° spotting drill I can use to centerdrill stock. So even if this thing is properly a widget for some other application, I think I can still pervert it into use as a dead center.

It's too short to bottom out in my Jacobs chuck, though. I might need to drop a spacer into the bottom of my chuck to use it, as the steel chuck jaws probably won't be able to keep the carbide from slipping back under tool pressure.

Comment

I ve heard somwhere regular jacobs chucks run out too much.
                          If you had one of them hi precission chuchs then that might habe veen a different story
                          FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Either way dont use them as center punch.
                            They will shatter in your hand.
                            A former co-worker was using an old socket handle, ground to a point, as a punch.
                            It shattered when he hit it, and he had to have surgery to remove the shrapnel from his hand.

Comment

Looks like a piece of micro-grain carbide to me.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X