Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Lathe

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Free Lathe

    Just saw this on another site and thought someone here might be interested, it sounds like he will even load it for you.
    http://hartford.craigslist.org/tls/3629398712.html

    Dave


    Free for the taking is a WWII vintage Hendey engine lathe. The machine is surplus to the owners needs and it must go. The catch? You have to be at the location of the machine on the day the riggers are there moving machines and you must have a truck capable of hauling this machine or contract with the riggers to move it to your location. The machine runs great. I have been using it regularly. I can't take it because I don't have the space. The date for the riggers move has not been set yet, but it could be as early as next week. PLEASE DO NOT BOTHER ME UNLESS YOU ARE SERIOUS.
    •Location: Manchester, CT
    Last edited by Davo J; 02-20-2013, 07:09 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Davo J View Post
    Just saw this on another site and thought someone here might be interested, it sounds like he will even load it for you.[/url]

    The machine runs great. I have been using it regularly.
    •Location: Manchester, CT
    Weird, a machinist giving away such a beautiful machine I wonder if he listed it for a certain price ahead of his move date and wasn't able to sell it?

    I once saw a thread in a machinist forum (don't remember which one), where somebody opened a topic, asking for the value of all the equipment in a shop. Most likely he inherited it and just wanted the money. The shop had both metal and woodworking machinery in it, was pristine and very well equipped. It was obvious that it was a very special place for the previous owner. Everybody tried to talk the guy into keeping the shop and appreciating all of those tools, but I don't know what happened. This was a few years ago ...

    Comment


    • #3
      The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!

      Comment


      • #4
        Free lathe - That's an oxymoron - in the same category as a free horse.

        Does look nice and you don't get much better that Hendey.

        Comment


        • #5
          Very kind offer as he ciuld have scaped or binned it. It will make someone happy I'm sure. Good for him!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
            The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!
            Let me know the date & time and I'll come help (the sidewalk superintendent type of help).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Abaker View Post
              Free lathe - That's an oxymoron - in the same category as a free horse.
              Tell me about it! I was given a "free" Sheldon 12". I now have so much in it I guess I will have to be buried with it. No one in their right mind would give me what I need for it. Wonder what that says about my mental condition?

              Wish I was closer to the Hendey. Nice looking machine.

              Mike

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!
                Getting down in the basement wouldn't be a problem. You probably wouldn't even need the steps or the dolly. Gravity will do all the work. The challenge would be getting it to run again.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                  The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!
                  Just make sure you eat your Wheaties...

                  I wish I was local - I'd snag that in a heartbeat. I love those old Hendey lathes.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Can't tell if that's the 12 or the more desirable 18 speed. Four jaw chuck, steady in the chip pan. No mention of swing or length, but must be at least a 14" x 6', maybe a 16".

                    If you really wan't it, find a local member to oversee the loading onto a LTL truck or arrange for a trucking company to pick up at the riggers location.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Will make an awsome tombstone but everyone will think your name is Sheldon
                      Originally posted by Bluechips View Post
                      Tell me about it! I was given a "free" Sheldon 12". I now have so much in it I guess I will have to be buried with it. No one in their right mind would give me what I need for it. Wonder what that says about my mental condition?

                      Wish I was closer to the Hendey. Nice looking machine.

                      Mike

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                        The lathe in that photo makes me tingly. I wonder if I can get it down my basement steps. I have a hand truck!
                        A Hendey lathe doesn't go down the basement steps, It goes in the basement window.

                        [IMG][/IMG]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Free... we need more of this (giving and receiving).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PJRitz View Post
                            A Hendey lathe doesn't go down the basement steps, It goes in the basement window.

                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            I think it goes in after the basement is built, but before the joists for the ground floor are installed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by taydin View Post
                              Weird, a machinist giving away such a beautiful machine I wonder if he listed it for a certain price ahead of his move date and wasn't able to sell it?

                              I once saw a thread in a machinist forum (don't remember which one), where somebody opened a topic, asking for the value of all the equipment in a shop. Most likely he inherited it and just wanted the money. The shop had both metal and woodworking machinery in it, was pristine and very well equipped. It was obvious that it was a very special place for the previous owner. Everybody tried to talk the guy into keeping the shop and appreciating all of those tools, but I don't know what happened. This was a few years ago ...
                              I remember that thread, but can't remember if I commented on it as well.

                              Dave

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X