A Simple, Cheap and Useful Millrite Mod:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Simple, Cheap and Useful Millrite Mod:

Howdy. For years I've been frustrated every time I need to adjust ram extension on my Burke/Millrite vertical mill. I had to use a pipe clamp between the ram and turret, and then move it a couple of inches at a time. Last week I collected a few things from scraps, and put this project together. It isn't very technical or pretty but it works perfectly and the price was right! I still need to get paint on it and form a dust/chip shield for the screw, which will be mounted using the two tapped holes in each screw support. The screw supports also have oil holes on top. The ACME screw and nut were left over from another project (wife's potter's wheel).

This first image shows the forward screw support, and the weldment used to form the turret post. The screw supports were contoured from a 1.125" thick block, bored, and then split lengthwise on the bandsaw. After milling the bandsaw cuts true, the mounting holes were drilled. It is hard to see in the crummy cell phone photos, but atop the 'mast' there is a thick disc of 1.125 stock to enhance contact and weld area between the mast and the nut. On the mill, the mounting areas for each part were scraped flat (no precision here, my tolerance was .002). Due to the difficulty of measuring in the corner of the turret and predicting welding warp, I used a 3-point mount with adjusting setscrews for the nut support. What looks like rust on the weldment is copper anti-seize.

I was 'educated' on the crank end too when I discovered after the fact that the ram casting wasn't particularly straight or square on the outside surface (I know, I should have checked). The variation was minimal, but enough to cause binding on the screw when approaching that end of travel. The problem was solved by adding a .015" shim under the bottom end of the crank side screw mount.

After that, I fabbed a wrench dedicated to the ram and turret clamp nuts

I'd be interested to see other's methods of doing the same thing if anyone has done so.
    Gordon

Nice job!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Nicely done Gordon!
      Eric Sanders in Brighton, Michigan
      www.scope-werks.com
      www.compufoil.com

Comment

Nice job!
        I am a MILLRITE owner as well, and my method of moving the ram involves a rather LARGE dead-blow mallet.
        You should do a write-up for the magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
          You should do a write-up for the magazine.
          Ditto! Great fabrication work!
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Awesome. As another Millrite owner I second the big dead blow hammer. I've only moved mine once.

Comment

Mine seems to slide relatively easy....but nice job on the screw feed The problem you had is the same I'm told if you attempt to put a DRO on the machine with the castings not being square plumb angled etc.

Comment

Another well done from me!
                I will do this on one of my mills.
                It would make moving the ram actually handy,
                rather than a total pain.
                Not exactly like, but it makes me think of the
                Fray all-angle mill. Very cool.

--Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Thank you all for the kind remarks. Doozer, it really is handy. Coupled with the turret swing, you can mount unwieldy workpieces in less time and with far less trouble.
                  Gordon

Comment

thanks for posting! i have been pondering the same thing.
                    i like the approach you took - will shamelessly borrow.

Comment

Originally posted by 1200rpm View Post
                      . . .- will shamelessly borrow.
                      Please do! That's my only reason for posting it, and let me know what improvements you come up with.

Comment

Someone needs to mount an engine flywheel ring gear to the turret
                        to make it able to swivel with the turn of a crank. Hmmm...

--Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

Heck yeah! You could mill an arc with a two-foot radius!

Comment

Hmmm??? Mine moves easy enough that I'm careful not to tug too hard.
                            I sure wouldn't want to grease or oil the ways.

Comment

Originally posted by tdkkart View Post
                              Hmmm??? Mine moves easy enough that I'm careful not to tug too hard.
                              I sure wouldn't want to grease or oil the ways.
                              You know, I wondered if mine was supposed to move easily since the mfg didn't include another method, but after good cleaning and oiling the ram ways, it was still not possible to push it manually (I'm all of a 135lbs soaking wet so it might just be me!). It did move smoothly with the clamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X