A few pics of the project:

B4:

Continues...

After:

Or the album, so you can see comments/descriptions.:
    http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...ilboard%20pics

uute

Comment

Nice work UUTE !! The only way to plow snow with "Power Angle".

So handy to switch angle on the go.

Comment

Looks good uute, that's not going to fall off anytime soon.
        Of course now that it's done so is the snow. But hey if that's all it takes it was worth it.

Sooo much nicer when you can pick and choose where to place the windrow without having to get out and pull pins, it really speeds up the process.
        No shoes though?
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
          No shoes though?
          No. Just got this rig in december, didn't have any 'skidders" either. I'm mostly on the asphalt, so the cutting edge may wear quick?!!?

The Liar Channel says 5-8" tonight, so we'll see.

uute.

Comment

Well 5-8" should give the rig a good workout.

Unless you've got an awful lot of plowing to do I don't think the cutting edge wear will be that much of an issue. The shoes or "skidders" just come in handy when on unfamiliar terrain. They're nice for keeping you out of the trip springs when you're into the broken pavement or soft unfrozen dirt/sod. Just a little easier on everything, but not absolutely essential if you know exactly what's on your plate.

Carbide tipped blades and or shoes will outlast the Jeep if you ever get a chance to pick up a set cheap...but otherwise are major $$$. Overkill unless you can get them cheap and only good for pavement as they tend to fracture on bony gravel roads.

Comment

Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              Nice work UUTE !! The only way to plow snow with "Power Angle".

So handy to switch angle on the go.
              Sorry Ray, The "only" way to plow snow is with a Cat 16 grader and hydraulic wing. And if that won't do it? Your then moving up the scale to a D-8, 9,10, OR 11 depending on the snow storm.

Pete

Comment

Lol,, Ok, i have to agree on that!!!

Comment

Pete, LOL, of course your absolutely right. But by then you'll know it's time to move.

Comment

While I have used both an 8 and a 9 to clear heavy drifted snow on steep grades those graders just didn't have enough traction to both climb and clear at the same time, I think your totally right Willy, If you need a 10 or unbelievably an 11, it's then really the time to reconsider where you live.

But the main thing to remember about the light weight plows Uute started this thread out with for anyone who isn't very experienced with them is that there's no consumer grade truck that's even close to being built to use them. You need to be very careful even pushing snow into a previous built windrow. It hammers the hell out of everything. They will of course work and work well if you do use a little care. But even being ultra careful you can I guess expect to do some future welding.

It's also really amazing what I've rolled up in a previous windrow with a grader and wing that some people keep at there driveway entrances. I've killed more than my fair share of garden gnomes, fake deer and even a few Santa's .

Pete

Comment

My apologies to uute for the slight diversion. But Pete's snowplowing description below brought back memories.

I've killed more than my fair share of garden gnomes, fake deer and even a few Santa's .
                      True story, about ten years ago unknown to me I popped a road killed deer out of the snow bank. It was dark and I didn't see it as it was at the back end of the wing. Stiff as a board, it stood straight up on top of the windrow!
                      We even got calls about it the next day for being a road side nuisance as drivers one by one would slow down in order to avoid it as they feared it could possibly run into traffic. Must say it worked better than most road signs for slowing traffic down.

Comment

That's hilarious, Willy! Thanks for the chuckle.
                        Last edited by uute; 02-21-2013, 01:12 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

LOL, Great story Willy. Weirdly? It's pretty strange just how easy or how common stuff like that happens. I've rolled over more than a few live deer just from the windrow being thrown. The last was down a deep ditchline on a fairly steep downhill grade and a large amount of dry snow. It was basically rolling off the blades like a huge one sided bow wave. Once I got the grader stopped, he finally got up, shook himself off and glared at me like everything was my fault. You see a lot of very funny or strange things happen with no one else around to share it with.

I had a half grown bobcat seriously consider attacking my 14G grader one afternoon too. I'm not all that sure what he planned to do with it. Pretty funny to watch while he made up his mind to do it or not.

Pete
                          Last edited by uncle pete; 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Good stories, thanks for the chuckles!!

Comment

What the heck do you use one of them for????

Comment

Working...
                              X