OT- crap ware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- crap ware

Either yesterday or today started getting pop-ups and embedded links. The links show up underlined and different color. Had them in several posts here. This happened once before and someone here was able to recommend a solution to remove the hidden program that was causing it. CCleaner, Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy did not find anything. It is a problem in Explorer 8 and Firefox.
    North Central Arkansas

Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
    Either yesterday or today started getting pop-ups and embedded links. The links show up underlined and different color. Had them in several posts here. This happened once before and someone here was able to recommend a solution to remove the hidden program that was causing it. CCleaner, Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy did not find anything. It is a problem in Explorer 8 and Firefox.
    Might try Malwarebites.
    Joe

Comment

My mother in law brought over her brand new laptop with windoze8 on it last night, it was so jammed up with malware and crap that it was unusable. All she does is her email, skype and listen to toons on it too...
      I formatted it and installed Fedora 18, problem gone forever, only took about an hour too....
      Do yourself a favour and say goodbye to windows forever!
      Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

Check your browser add-ons in both IE and FireFox and disable any that you don't recognise. If you understand editing the registry, download and run HijackThis and look for BHO's that are unknown. If you don't feel comfortable messing with the registry, run HijackThis, save the report and PM me. I will take a look at it and advise. I'm retired from Computer Support.
        CCleaner is a reall good tool. I use it regularly and advise all my clients to use it. Are you checking the start up options with CCleaner?
        Chuck

Comment

Make sure JAVA (not javascript) is disabled. It is now recommended to permanently turn it off in all web browsers as it is being targeted by hackers unknown using "zero day" vulnerabilities that will not be detected by any current anti-virus solutions. The hackers are compromising popular servers (the watering hole attack) which then provides a "drive by" download that attacks JAVA and infects your machine. Until Oracle takes this issue seriously JAVA is in deep trouble.

It is becoming very apparent that there is no such thing as a secure system if it is connected to the internet. Even the most "secure" systems have been compromised recently including banks, military and large corps.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Turned out to be BrowsetoSave. Control Panel was able to delete it.

Java was disabled a year or two back.
            North Central Arkansas

Comment

ulav8r,
              Just curious, how did you find it?

Chuck

Comment

I have Java 7 update 11 with 128 mb, Java (tm) update 30 with 91.34 mb and Java FX 2.1.1 installed, so could anyone advise me which or all of these should I remove or disable please (its obvious that my computer knowledge is not good ). Ed

Comment

Disable any and all versions of JAVA in your browser(s). Even the very latest version is not recommended.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well, I was not certain how to disable them so I deleted all of them, and Evan, its good to see you back on deck and I hope your'e health really picks up, I know we all missed you on here. Ed

Comment

Looked through the programs listed by Control Panel and then did an internet search on the ones I didn't recognize. The one that caused problems before did not show up in the list of installed programs, I had to use/download a separate program to destroy it and was afraid I would need to do that again.

Originally posted by chucketn View Post
                      ulav8r,
                      Just curious, how did you find it?

Chuck
                      North Central Arkansas

Comment

Working...
                      X