OT: Machine vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Machine vision

I need to see an event that is just too quick to see by eye. I have a couple Point Grey Scorpion series firewire monochrome CCD cameras, one will do 60+ FPS at 640x480. Is there any software that I can use to buffer the last 10 to 15 seconds of video and save that when I hit a button so I can review when this machine screws up?

Security camera softwares usually keep a buffer of video and you are usually able to dial in the wanted FPS and numver of minutes it keeps recordings (the loop time). Many free ones out there, so a round of Googling might give you an answer as to which software does this
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Macona - what's happening? are you crashing or what? did you analyze the parts and chips tooling magnified?

sounds like an interesting problem, I guess if your going to have problems you might as well have an interesting one...

Comment

Must admit I've never used it... but Kinovea (opensource) might do the trick. It's actually designed for sports performance analysis, but this help page suggests it will do what you need:

http://www.kinovea.org/help/en/131.html

Cheers

Comment

I'll give that software a try.

I started working this week at a food plant that makes tofu and soy milk. The machines that box the product just move too fast to see what is really happening when they screw up. Hoping i can take one of these cameras to see what happens when it screws up.

Comment

Almost any digital camera that does videos could be used. Just stop the recording when the event happens.

The problem with this is the exposure time for a single frame is on the order of 1/100 second and is likely too long to stop the motion of the machinery you are working with. You will need a camera designed for high speed work and perhaps a strobe light to freeze the motion.

Almost any video editing program will allow you to examine the footage on a frame-by-frame basis. This is a very basic function of such programs. Just Google "free video editor", you will get many, many results. If you get a high end, high speed camera be sure the editing program can work with the video it produces: frame size, frame rate, etc.
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
            X