Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about to purchase Grizzly G 0704 Mill/Drill

As stated, about to (finally) buy
    Wondering if anyone might know of any coupons or specials available?
    I did several google searches & came up empty.
    Large purchase for me & hate to have to pay full $$

Congratz, that is my favorite looking mill that I do NOT own. Grizzly is the only one I have seen that sells that model. Penn tool used to have its smaller brother but no longer carries it.

I did see on another forum a member got his from Grizzly and the z axis wasn't fully ground so inspect the ways but shouldn't be too bad.

Comment

I've got the busy bee tools equivalent model (CT129N). It's a weiss BF-20 when it isn't in disguise. Not a bad mill at all. The column's flexible, especially with z near the top, but with reasonably light cuts you can turn out accurate work. I'm not sure about the G0704, but mine has metric leadscrews and imperial dials.

J

Comment

Buying your BF20 from Grizzly (G0704) saves you one dollar over the Precision Matthews version (PM20MV); delivered prices compared:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...th-Stand/G0704
        http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-MV-BenchMills.html

Comment

Good looking machine. Any square collumn you'll love.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I have the Canadian version of that mill, and for the stuff i do i am quite happy with it so far.

The fits and finish were very good, a nice running mill.

Comment

anyone know where I can look for a discount coupon?

Comment

I just got a 10% off coupon for any Grizzly item with my Woodworker's Journal magazine. Use this number:
                13WJ7735428RA
                If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Comment

No I certainly can't blame you for looking for the cheapest price. But I can say after a couple of years of ownership that you'll be looking back at the original mill price as a pretty cheap deal. Milling machines eat money for tooling, and there's no real difference just because you bought a smaller mill. The actual tooling cost's are about the same unless you buy ultra small or an ultra large mill.

Pete

Comment

You got that right Pete!!

I spent more on tooling, (And not finished yet,) than i did for the mill. (Fun buying tools though!) Lol

Comment

Ray,
                      LOL,Yeah well I sure wish I was wrong about it. And that's just for the real need to have tooling. The fun or very cool to have and use get's real costly real fast. I'm past twice what my Bridgeport clone cost, and there's more than a few items I'd very much like to have. "Volstro milling accesories" is a term Bridgeport type owners should not ever Google. There no longer in business, but even used prices are real high.

Pete

Comment

Besides tooling, there's fixturing. If you include the vise as tooling, then fixturing is every other thing that helps you hold workpieces. I can often get pieces of metal that I'll make a fixture out of for cheap, but it always takes time to get that stuff together and working. I've probably spent about as much time making jigs as spent on actually machining of parts. Just yesterday I spent about 3 hours making up some 1/2 inch thick angle iron fixtures for a 1 hour total machining operation. Of course I'll be able to use the fixtures in future.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Making a jig or fixture to me is also part of the fun, but if i was doing this to make a living it probably wouldn't be.

Comment

I would go for it, bought mine here in the UK at our largest northern exhibition, UK version WM 16 ..(AKA BF20L).. with MT2 taper as opposed to MT3 in the G0704, so got a package deal along with WM250V-F lathe, it has & is doing what I give it to do with reasonable d.o.c. put on tooling. Be sure to tighten up all fastenings when /if you get one, check bearings on table, clean & apply new grease to same, adjust X & Y axis gib keys to take out slack, had to replace one X axis locking lever as they are easily broken (made out of Mazak/Magalloy/ pot metal & easily broken if too much pressure is applied) otherwise I'm using it as is, straight out of the box & so far no major probs!
                            Cheers
                            George

Comment

Morse Taper?? I don't think any of them have a morse taper anymore, they all seem to be R-8, at least the ones i see advertised. Mine is R-8

Comment

Working...
                              X