Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if its gloat worthy...but new to me lathe being picked up in a few hours..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure if its gloat worthy...but new to me lathe being picked up in a few hours..

Its a Jet 1440-3PGH. Its very dirty, missing the back-shield, the legends are hard to read for the gear switches...

BUT...ran each and every speed, and it was beautiful sounding...no whines, clicks or rattles..just a nice hum. I didnt see a single ding on the ways..cross slide and top slide looked undamanged.. Cross slide had some back lash, maybe quarter turn...top slide was missing the screw to hold the handle in, but from what I could tell it felt decent..everything worked that I could tell.

Current owner purchased it from a local factory closing years ago. It was one of 3 lathes. He said he doesnt know why they had 3 lathes given what they made, but they did. Current owner put in a 7.5hp single phase md a 8" 3 jaw...All he wanted it for was to turn brake rotors...and he s. They found a handful of other uses he said, but for an auto repair shop, totally unnecessary he said.

A significant up grade for a very simple (hoping to be complicated) HSM'er with a 1943 Sheldon 11x30 (overhead model) that I paid $300 for in pieces..

Pictures in about 4 or 5 hours...but looks like this one, just not as clean http://www.capitalequipmentinc.com/tcnt/1429.htm
    Last edited by cuemaker; 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM.

Way 2 go, Cue! Dirt? Sweeps/washes right off and missing attachments can be found. Jet sold zillions of those lathes and few of the buyers know what to do with the steadies.

No apparent wear? It can happen. Sometime people over-buy. Good risk for the price. The cross slide B/L may improve when the handle is fixed.

I bet the vibration of that 7 1/2 HP single phase motor will drive you nuts once you experience a silky smooth three phase equipped machine. But early days.

Congrats.
    Last edited by Forrest Addy; 02-23-2013, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Thats a lot of lathe for $1300, congratulations.

Comment

congrats! looks like a lot of lathe.

Comment

Nice gloat, I have the lathe one step below the 14x40 and love it. your going to totaly love the 14x40 it won't let you down.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Awesome! Looks great!

Comment

Let me be the 1st to say YOU SUCK! Good for you!
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

That's a nice machine for the money! I know of two commercial job shops that have them because it's got the 3" through-the-spindle capacity in such a small package.

You may find that getting spindle tooling (chucks. face plates, collet adaptation) can be expensive and harder to find in D1-8 mount. On the plus side, if you do tool up for collets you can get virtually any size with a bore that big.

Comment

I would be pleased as hell with a deal like that - well done, you suck
                  Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                  Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                  Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Here is the proof... did some cleaning...

Missing the threading dial..oh well... did find scales on the back..2 chucks..4 tool post...

Comment

My bad.. dial legends easy to read under the gunk...

Comment

Very nice, Just needs a QCTP (quick change toolpost) (Get on ASAP! you will NOT reget it)
                        Wonder what happened to the cast iron just infront of the chuck (not the ways,, but close to them)
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                          Very nice Wonder what happened to the cast iron just infront of the chuck (not the ways,, but close to them)
                          It looks like someone made a little room so they could do a flywheel or large rotor.
                          Nice looking machine.
                          Steve

Comment

looks very good for the money with a little love and care and some Green paint it should be ebautiful once more. Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Looks like a very stout machine for $1300! From that era, Jet's were made in Taiwan, right?
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X