Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientists discover graphene super capacitor, extr. high energy density, like battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists discover graphene super capacitor, extr. high energy density, like battery

We'll have to see this vetted and reproduced, but this is pretty exciting for the alternative energy people, solar people, electric car people,windmill people, the tree hugger types, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oEFwyoWKXo

doug

Youtube is the new Wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
      Youtube is the new Wikipedia.
      And wikipedia is the new Bible.
      People blindly believe everything they see in there.
      FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

If it works it would be great, but where does the extra generating capacity come from if these were used widely for, say cars?
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero_Divide View Post
          And wikipedia is the new Bible.
          People blindly believe everything they see in there.
          Edited and controlled by people who have there own agenda, With anything anyone else trys to add/correct/say quickly removed.
          Yep, pretty close to the bible alright.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

The graphene supercapacitor news from the horse's mouth (at UCLA). It seems they found a way to fix graphene slurry one molecule thick onto a plastic foil by exposing it to the laser light from a DVD player!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
              Edited and controlled by people who have there own agenda, With anything anyone else trys to add/correct/say quickly removed.
              Yep, pretty close to the bible alright.
              If the edited info can't be supported by facts, it will be edited off as it is not reliable.
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                If the edited info can't be supported by facts, it will be edited off as it is not reliable.
                if the info is edited because it is not supported by facts, the edit will be reverted within seconds by moderators and you will be banned for defacing wikipedia. Do you hold a degree in said field? Then you'll be banned even faster because your edits are based on 'independant/own research' and that is not allowed.
                Also, a website that takes its incorrect info from wikipedia is considered a valid citation for any 'fact'

First 5 google results for "wikipedia is wrong" (See I can pull a tiffie too!)
                http://www.wikipedia-is-wrong.com/
                http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do...icb.page346376 <- Note the harvard.edu in the url
                "Users may be reading information that is outdated or that has been posted by someone who is not an expert in the field or by someone who wishes to provide misinformation. (Case in point: Four years ago, an Expos student who was writing a paper about the limitations of Wikipedia posted a fictional entry for himself, stating that he was the mayor of a small town in China. Four years later, if you type in his name, or if you do a subject search on Wikipedia for mayors of towns in China, you will still find this fictional entry.) "

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...roblem/253216/
                http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...2214120AAWhdXW
                http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...edia-is-wrong/
                "Not only did Wikipedia get its facts wrong about the book he labored to write, says novelist Philip Roth, but when he reached out to the online encyclopedia to request a correction, editors there maintained that they knew better about the book than the author."
                Last edited by Black_Moons; 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

The environmentalists will have a fit - it is made from Carbon, that notorious poison. If successful, Al Gore will find a way of taxing it - to his own enrichment.
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

The problem with the global village is all the village idiots.

I think the funniest story about Wikipedia is about Fox and Al Franken, when Al published his book "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right"

There was an edit/revision war on the Al Franken entry on Wikipedia, and the Wiki editors were having a hard time filtering and banning a veritable army of anonymous guest editors. Turned out, they were all coming from the same domain: fox.com

That was when Wikipedia implemented domain filtering, and started an application process for Wikipedia editors.
                    Last edited by lazlo; 02-23-2013, 01:04 PM.
                    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thus the need for vetting and independent verification.

Hey, it might pan out.

doug

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                        The environmentalists will have a fit - it is made from Carbon, that notorious poison. If successful, Al Gore will find a way of taxing it - to his own enrichment.
                        Say, aren't you made from carbon? Humans are a notorious poison to the environment! My carbon foot print is a size 11 times two.

ken

Comment

Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
                          Thus the need for vetting and independent verification.

Hey, it might pan out.

doug
                          I would be the happiest boy in town if that thing with super capacitors worked out.

I myself will throw out my gasoline engine.
                          Buy a DC motor and a battery pack from e-bay and then pay 1 buck for 10 kw/hr......

Oh but wait. If everyone switches to Electric Vehicles, do you think electricity would cost the same as now???

I very much doubt so.
                          http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...ctric-car.html

You tree hugers may go ahead and switch to electric.
                          I will hold on to my gas car for a bit.
                          FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo View Post
                            I think the funniest story about Wikipedia is about Fox and Al Franken
                            The other amusing Wikipedia story was the cold fusion entry. There was a war between the (long-time) Wiki editor, who was apparently a Cold Fusion fan, and some of the academic critics.

The pro Cold-Fusion editor was insistent that, although Pons and Fleischmann disastrously mishandled their initial data, that the whole field (and Wiki entry) shouldn't be dismissed. After a long edit war between two Wiki editors, the pro Cold Fusion guy was banned. The same editor had also edited the Global Warming entry at some point in the past, and the anti GW crowd had a field day.

Funny thing is, written references are just as biased -- that's human nature. I was explaining to a foreigner recently that children are taught two very different histories of the Civil War, depending on which state they're in.

Or for a real laugh, look at the "Gun Politics in the United States" entry on Wiki. Arguing points, pro and con, with the same data/citations. And that was before Sandy Hook!

Ultimately, they just give up:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

One of the great serial offenders on Wikipedia and who has the sympathetic ear of the wikipedia management:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped..._.28various.29

This guy is the perfect example of rogue editor and gatekeeper there.

Comment

Working...
                              X