Vee block clamp ideas please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vee block clamp ideas please

I have a V-Block I got when I purchased a small toolbox full of "vintage" machinist tools a long time ago.
    I've never used it in my home shop because it didn't have a clamp. I started bending some 5/8" square bar yesterday thinking I could easily knock out a little clamp but I am not happy with the way it bent. I used an OA with a rosebud but the vise I wanted to use for bending was across my shop so by the time I got it over there it had lost some heat blah blah blah.
    I've seen several here that are mainly straps. I'd really like to make some of the "U" style with tabs for the slots on each side.
    Currently all I have is 20" DP, a lathe and an Atlas 7" shaper for machining.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Howard

I think you were on the right track.....I found my answer to this from 2009 and it hasn't changed .

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ing#post407510

you need to move the vise to the OA, OA to the vise or buy longer hoses.

The secret to accurate work is cut out a template and constantly compare it to the work. you don't need the rosebud, by selectively heating you can bend it in many small stage; only the hot part bends. that ring in the link looks fairly round and it was bent with a torch using this method.

finish with a file, drill and tap and you're done

Comment

If you by chance the the correct size pipe laying around, you could make a few rings then cut the ring in half and add "legs" (welded or screwed into the bottom of the cut rings) - not knowing what type of clamping presser your after.

What is a 'rosebud' ?

_
      ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
      http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
      https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

The only thing I would add to what Mcgyver said is regards the size of stock you are trying to bend...how tight a smooth bend you can get will depend on how small a radius/circle you are trying to bend a given size into...which in turn, for your project, depends on the size of the V block (as example I only have pretty small V blocks and for me, 5/8" would likely be too heavy...depends a bit too on if you are trying to have the tabs as a very sharp bend at the bottom of each "leg" or if you plan on welding on those tabs later...or "carve" them out of thicker stock)

Comment

Thanks-I looked at the ring in the photo a few days ago & that gave me the IEA to use square bar. My mistake was using a rosebud. I'll try a welding tip & longer hoses which I have readily available.
          A rosebud is a multi orifice heating tip used to heat large areas to cherry red. Uses a lot of fuel too.
          My block is 2-5/8" wide with two grooves that are 3/16" deep & 1/4" wide so I was going to make the arch 2-1/4" wide and take 3/16" + clearance from the legs leaving a 3/16"X1/4", minus a few thousandths for ease of sliding, nubs to grab the slots. Then drill/tap the top.
          Thanks
          Howard

Comment

If you are making a new clamp think about making one like this.

The clamping screws are either side, the idea is to leave the top clear so inserted bushes can be fitted to allow cross drilling into round stock.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Great idea for a modified clamp. Make the drill guide a standard size to fit common bushings.

Comment

That is a great idea. I was just now getting ready to make another attempt & will now do as you suggest.
                Thanks
                Howard

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                If you are making a new clamp think about making one like this.

The clamping screws are either side, the idea is to leave the top clear so inserted bushes can be fitted to allow cross drilling into round stock.

Comment

You could draw it up and have the part waterjet leaving the square tabs slightly oversize then file for a good fit. Maybe 1/2" plate? For light home use you won't need to harden it.

If you want to do proper bending with heat, you need a bit of setup. I suggest you invest in 2 or 3 firebricks, the heavy kind. You can arrange these into a corner so they reflect heat back on your part. The way I would bend that part is to make a form that you can clamp one end of the part to, then start heating and bending on the free end.

If you have a mill vise you could catch a round short piece of pipe just a bit above the bottom of the vise, just far enough up so you can barely slide the flat stock under it. Then bend the bar around the piece of pipe, going just past 180 so it will spring back to 180. This will result in a bend ID a bit larger than the pipe OD depending on springback, so pick your pipe size accordingly.

Then braze on your tabs, boil off the flux, clean all up, drill/tap hole(s) and paint it and waa-la.

metalmagpie

Comment

I bent up an acceptable clamp but then I won this so I have a new block & a clamp that, I think, will fit mine as well. I got this for $33.00. I hope this is a good deal.
                    Thanks
                    Howard

Comment

It's a bit small for thirty three dollars isn't it ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Oh-I should have clarified-I bought the vise not the tiny photo OF the vise-JK.
                        I priced some blocks & clamps & saw a lot higher prices for USA made blocks. This is a shop made one no doubt made by a world renown metal craftsman of the highest regard so I guess I did OK.

Comment

2 1/2" pipe is not as common as 2" but was used for windmills in this area. Slice a couple of appropriately wide rings and split the bottom and straighten the legs and weld on the tab.
                          Byron Boucher
                          Burnet, TX

Comment

Here is a couple I made.

Last edited by j king; 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM.

Comment

They look great. Is it pipe or tubing you used? I don't have a source locally for either in small quanitity but the steel supply here has a fairly good drop pile I may check out.
                              The tabs look pinned no?
                              Thanks
                              Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X