Computer question re "7"...... is it still available despite the new "phone app "8"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J Tiers
    • Jan 2004

Computer question re "7"...... is it still available despite the new "phone app "8"?

I know "8" just appeared, but "7" seemed to be only available for about 39 seconds.

I have available to me (to buy) a pretty new Dell M4300 which has what I want for running a bunch of engineering programs. But it has XP on it, and many of the programs are going to be transitioning to the non-XP world...... As of yet I am not sure if that means "8", or "7".....

Could mean "7" compatible, since "8" seems to be (deservedly) not super-popular.

The basic question is whether relatively new machines can be upgraded,

And whether "7" is still being sold for consumer install.

As for why would I not just buy a new one... a) it will come with "8", which I don't want yet.... and the kind of machine I am looking for is *not cheap* new..... I don't want to hand over big bucks and then deal with the "phone apps" system.
    CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
    Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
    Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
    I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
    Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.
  • oldtiffie
    • Nov 1999

My older computer (XP) is being up-graded to W7 (OEM) as the guy who services my machines only installs W8 by written request only - default is W7.

I don't use (and get by quite well without) "apps" either on my computers or my mobile/cell phone.

Not all newer main/mother and graphics boards will support all aspects of XP - which happened in my case so a new computer (W7) is being built from the ground up.

Comment

• Zero_Divide
      • Oct 2012

I bought my wife a new laptop with w8 installed.
      Thought "what the heck i dont care as long as it still works"
      Boy was i wrong.
      Everything is absolutely annoying.
      I had to download and install a third-party app that reinstated old style start menu as w8 does not have it at all!

Stupid sidebar keeps popping up every time to move the mouse to the right of the screen. AND there is no way to turn it off.
      Color scheme is horrible. And attempts to make it more bearable make it look to ugly to ugly to tolerate.......
      Install windows 7 and dont worry.
      W8 will forever remain one of their flops. Just like Vista, ME, win 2000 and win 95.
      FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
        • Apr 2009

My new desktop has Windoze 8 and the best feature is that it can be, easily, made to look like Windoze 7.
        Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• Zero_Divide
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
          My new desktop has Windoze 8 and the best feature is that it can be, easily, made to look like Windoze 7.
          Did you find a way to turn off sidebar.
          That thing just drives me nuts!

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
            • Apr 2009

I don't think it pops up if you are running desktop. Sorry, but you would have to Google how to do that automatically but what I did was made a shortcut to Desktop and that appears on the Metro window. Just click on that and you are pretty much back in the sanity mode.

To test, just click on START and start typing 'desktop', please let me know what happens.

John
            Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 02-24-2013, 12:38 AM.
            Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• macona
              • Aug 2006

Windows 8, the new vista.

Some people say it runs faster than Win 7, it might, but the interfaces is a user interface nightmare.

Ill be sticking with Win 7 for the long haul.

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                • Apr 2009

Yeabut, its not too hard to make it look quite like Windoze 7.

The magic words are "disable Windows 8" in the Google search box.
                Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 02-24-2013, 01:33 AM.
                Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• Zero_Divide
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                  Yeabut, its not too hard to make it look quite like Windoze 7.

The magic words are "disable Windows 8" in the Google search box.
                  Noo man you simply CAN NOT disable stupid charms bar (the one i fitst erroneously? called sidebar)
                  Find it on Q&A — the home for technical questions and answers at Microsoft. New to Q&A? See our get started article below.

Macona thanks for the video- gave me a good laugh!

Comment

• oldtiffie
                    • Nov 1999

Here is the OP.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    I know "8" just appeared, but "7" seemed to be only available for about 39 seconds.

I have available to me (to buy) a pretty new Dell M4300 which has what I want for running a bunch of engineering programs. But it has XP on it, and many of the programs are going to be transitioning to the non-XP world...... As of yet I am not sure if that means "8", or "7".....

Could mean "7" compatible, since "8" seems to be (deservedly) not super-popular.

The basic question is whether relatively new machines can be upgraded,

And whether "7" is still being sold for consumer install.

As for why would I not just buy a new one... a) it will come with "8", which I don't want yet.... and the kind of machine I am looking for is *not cheap* new..... I don't want to hand over big bucks and then deal with the "phone apps" system.
                    I have an idea that Dell and a few others have Windows versions almost hard-wired in and I am not sure how it can be stripped back to "blank" so that you can instal your own fully licenced OEM copy of W7.

Comment

• Zero_Divide
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
                      Here is the OP.

I have an idea that Dell and a few others have Windows versions almost hard-wired in and I am not sure how it can be stripped back to "blank" so that you can instal your own fully licenced OEM copy of W7.
                      The problem one poor sob is gonna have when successful is DRIVERS.
                      If OEMs are not expecting users to install w7 they will not offer any drivers for it.
                      Besides w7 is not sold anymore and if its been installed before, second installation makes it illegal

Comment

• The Artful Bodger
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Zero_Divide View Post
                        Noo man you simply CAN NOT disable stupid charms bar (the one i fitst erroneously? called sidebar)
                        Hokay...... I cant get the damn thing to pop up right now, what is the tender spot to trigger it?

(I did one of the registry patches to kill it).
                        Ashburton, New Zealand

Comment

• John Stevenson
                          • Mar 2001

Macona,
                          Started to watch the video but was expecting a video and not a powerpoint presentation.
                          Would have been a lot better if he had actually used W8 to display what he meant, watched 6 minutes then had to bail out it was tiresome watching an explanation of something that you knew wasn't going to get shown.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• gizmo2
                            • Oct 2002

Just went through this over the holidays. There was supposed to be a guy in town selling gov't surplus computers (Win7 based), but I couldn't find him. Most of the new computers don't have CD drives. How you s'pose to use your old info or music library? Tried to switch to an Apple, spent BIG money waited over a month and when it arrived the machine didn't work, so waited another month for the refund. Dug out my daughter's old laptop that originally had VISTA but switched to Win7. It's pretty slow as it doesn't really have the horsepower to run the newer programs, and the CD drive doesn't work any more. Hopefully it'll keep me until Windows 8 goes tits up; can only hope their next effort is a good one.
                            I'm here hoping to advancify my smartitude.

Comment

• Ohio Mike
                              • Jan 2009

In large networks CD drives are frowned on, you boot and install from the network. Installing a CD drive is like a 3 minute job anyway.

An earlier poster noted he thought Dell was locking machines or such which isn't true. We order hundreds of Dell machines each year at work preloaded with an OS (what ever is newest) and each gets wiped clean and has a "corporate approved" software image installed. I've also done it at home because i don't want all that demo crap Dell installed.

Personally I'd look at something new, anything XP based is ancient. Even lower end stuff today is so darn fast its crazy. You can get an i5 processor based machine with 6Gb of RAM and a 750Gb hard drive for less that $600.
                              Mike
                              Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X