Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, now that I have the power..do I have the speed?? Carbide insert questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I manage a location for Dan-Loc Bolt and Gasket. We manufacture studs and threaded rod, typically ASTM A193 B7/L7...which is really 4143HT, and we also manufacture ASTM B8 and B8M which is 304 and 316

I also have B16 rod and a few other goodies..

So I grab the cut offs from bar to short to work with.. You should see my bin for recycling bin with cut offs.. Upto 4" diameter is not a problem

Comment

cuemaker I own this same lathe. I bought it new and have the manuals. If I can be any help PM me.
      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by 750KO View Post
        cuemaker I own this same lathe. I bought it new and have the manuals. If I can be any help PM me.
        Randy
        This is very much appreciated. I found manuals and parts list online..but I need to recreate the back splash..PM on the way...

Comment

Cuemaker-
          Again, nice score, I am so jealous.
          I would not worry about 1600 rpm top end.
          How fast did you run your small Sheldon/Monarch?
          I will say, first get used to the rigidity of your new machine.
          Take more per cut, play with increased feed rates.
          Consider this, If you are turning a lot of 1/2" stock and below,
          you might want a smaller (faster) lathe.
          Unless you are running production with it to make money,
          I seriously doubt that 1600 is a limitation.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            Cuemaker-
            Again, nice score, I am so jealous.
            I would not worry about 1600 rpm top end.
            How fast did you run your small Sheldon/Monarch?
            I will say, first get used to the rigidity of your new machine.
            Take more per cut, play with increased feed rates.
            Consider this, If you are turning a lot of 1/2" stock and below,
            you might want a smaller (faster) lathe.
            Unless you are running production with it to make money,
            I seriously doubt that 1600 is a limitation.

--Doozer
            Doozer,

I ran my Sheldon to fast for its plain bearings...Its rigidity is very poor..in cutting 4140HT, I would go through several inserts pretty fast. I had some better luck with cermeted carbide and HSS, but the little lathe was just not up to it. On mild steel and aluminum it did ok. Usually a poor finish though. Also, I have fixed it up quite a bit and I am tired of messing with it. If I had the room, I would tuck it away and slowly repair it, make it a project. With with just half a garage, its easy to let it go and use the money for tooling on the big one.

I have not turned any 4140HT under half inch, in fact most of its was above 1". Most times I would start with something like 2" threaded rod and would remove the threads to make something.

And very little what I do is for money.. so its all play time for me.

I am so excited to get this lathe going.. After checking around, I am going with WNMG inserts. Partly because of recommendations, partly because in the 4 way tool post was a Kennametal DWLNR124 insert holder... seemed like fate was calling.

Right now I am working on where to place it...

Comment

Working...
            X