Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT - Any suggestions on a good quality wheelbarrow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Any suggestions on a good quality wheelbarrow?

Any suggestions on a good quality wheelbarrow?

At last, a thread that will surely give the Chinese the credit they deserve...

Comment

Try a Builders barrow.

Here is mine - never regretted it for a minuts as it has done all I needed of it.

http://www.vetner.com.au/product-ran...ilders-barrow/

Other links:

http://www.google.com.au/#hl=en&suge...w=1920&bih=846

Comment

Cue all the people saying to get one with solid wheels, who obviously all own perfectly flat and stone free areas they want to use it in

Comment

Depending on what you use the wheel barrow for and how often, sometimes a solid wheel makes more sense than a pneumatic one. I rarely use my wheel barrow and when I do, it's for light loads and only a few of them. I got fed up with finding the stock pneumatic tire flat when I needed it and when it finally aged enough that it wouldn't hold air, I replaced it with a solid tire which has been trouble free.

Comment

Oh Oh Oh, Gentlemen this is my area of expertise! Some of you know that I am a farmer(horses not crops) and not a machinist. Wheelbarrows are my life.

As in the machining posts we need more info from you. What usage, what capacity, what terrain? I have at least 6 wheelbarrows on my place. Three galvanized steel and three plastic two wheeled wheelbarrows. Oh I forgot, I also have a wheelbarrow that attaches to my excavator for cement work!

So give us more information and then we can answer your question.

Or as JTeirs is fond of writing: "This thread is useless without more information."

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Ummmm, real wheel barrows have only one wheel. Two wheeled ones are called hand carts(?).

How about one of these?

(..there are many variations on this theme)
              Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 02-24-2013, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                Ummmm, real wheel barrows have only one wheel. Two wheeled ones are called hand carts(?).

How about one of these?

Put a hole in the chair seat and you have a true porta potty!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFluffy View Post
                  Cue all the people saying to get one with solid wheels, who obviously all own perfectly flat and stone free areas they want to use it in
                  Horses for courses. I am in the middle of renovating a house, and our building site seems to be a giant magnet for stray screws and other pointy objects, no matter how vigilant I am or how often I sweep the drive and pathways. In the past 18 months, I have replaced punctured tubed tyres on two of our three wheelbarrows with solid tyres, and the (now punctured) third wheel will also be getting a solid. I have also had to repair three punctured car tyres in the same period...

Comment

'Put a hole in the chair seat and you have a true porta potty!'

Yeah, but when you go to move it, ya gotta watch that first step
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                      'Put a hole in the chair seat and you have a true porta potty!'

Yeah, but when you go to move it, ya gotta watch that first step
                      Dang, a coffee-on-the-keyboard moment!
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

How about one of these?

I am having some difficulty deciding how I would transport myself around with that.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                          I am having some difficulty deciding how I would transport myself around with that.
                          Weston haven't you ever seen a Western film. The cowboys always grab a chair and turn it around. So in this particular instance you straddle the chair backwards and grab the handles. Now you can go from place to place while sitting.

As to the porta potty first step. Simple, Just back away. Duh!

You guys don't know sh!t!!!!!

Comment

Personally, I think the standard wheel barrow is a poor design for most uses; carrying 1/2 the weight on you, it's also tippy, and the wheels are small diameter making them harder to push. Here is a design that I have come up with based on a manufactured cart by the now defunt Gleason Industries. I used common kids bike tires available new and cheap or used and cheaper. Buy the bike toss the frame. We have used these many years and can carry quite a heavy load. You can fit it with side boards for loose materials, a wheel barrow tub for concrete, or shelves for trays of items.

The only shortcoming is it must be unloaded from the non handle end first. You will be reminded every time you don't follow this rule, and your load will be all over the ground.

Comment

This is how you push a "hand cart" the easy way. My ten year old daughter is too small to empty it when it is full. With my knees as bad as they are I don't like to push it very far. So I do it this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiq4Ba2biMk

Comment

Working...
                              X