No announcement yet.

craking lathe on ebay you must see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone capable of building a Gingery lathe from scratch could probably tackle this one and make a usable tool for pocket change.

Good luck to who ever resurrects this poor abused tool. I would like to see the rebirth of it.

It looks like a boat anchor.

Spence

Comment

Spence this is a good and interesting point you make.
      Is this really beyond repair?
      I always tell my three sons, when something is regarded as scrap, or beyond repair,what is really meant is that it is beyond resonable economic repair.
      I base this assesment on the fact that if something can be built in the first place, then it can always be repaired (but at a cost which may be uneconomic to carry out).
      I would love to see this being taken back to the base and rebuilt up like new, or better thah new.
      I have actually doen this on several old lathes and was amazed at the result with careful love and attention.
      I however don't have the knowlwedge experience to tackle this enormous task (or these days even the strength).
      So my question is out of love, and withoutany desire for economic gain, could this be done?
      And if anyone had the time (as I do) would they take it on?I would love to hear from you guys on this Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I have seen automobiles restored when there was nothing left but a worn out lug nut, so with enough time and money, anything is possible.
        I am afraid that even if it were to be restored, this would still be a bit of a turkey.
        Jim H.

Comment

Everything has a useful side to it. I think with a little work the base could be made into a parts washer.

Joe

Comment

Late 1950's and early 60's, Railroads were scrapping state of the art Steam locomotives that were only 5 or so years old.

Comment

Working...
            X