craking lathe on ebay you must see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Late 1950's and early 60's, Railroads were scrapping state of the art Steam locomotives that were only 5 or so years old.

Leave a comment:

• WJHartson
    replied
    Everything has a useful side to it. I think with a little work the base could be made into a parts washer.

Joe

Leave a comment:

• JCHannum
    replied
    I have seen automobiles restored when there was nothing left but a worn out lug nut, so with enough time and money, anything is possible.
    I am afraid that even if it were to be restored, this would still be a bit of a turkey.

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Spence this is a good and interesting point you make.
    Is this really beyond repair?
    I always tell my three sons, when something is regarded as scrap, or beyond repair,what is really meant is that it is beyond resonable economic repair.
    I base this assesment on the fact that if something can be built in the first place, then it can always be repaired (but at a cost which may be uneconomic to carry out).
    I would love to see this being taken back to the base and rebuilt up like new, or better thah new.
    I have actually doen this on several old lathes and was amazed at the result with careful love and attention.
    I however don't have the knowlwedge experience to tackle this enormous task (or these days even the strength).
    So my question is out of love, and withoutany desire for economic gain, could this be done?
    And if anyone had the time (as I do) would they take it on?I would love to hear from you guys on this Alistair

Leave a comment:

• SJorgensen
    replied
    Anyone capable of building a Gingery lathe from scratch could probably tackle this one and make a usable tool for pocket change.

Good luck to who ever resurrects this poor abused tool. I would like to see the rebirth of it.

It looks like a boat anchor.

Spence

Leave a comment:

• Maker
    replied
    Turn it into a fountain. I don't think getting it wet would diminish it's value....

Alex

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    John I am surprised a man of your ingenuity could not make this into something useful say like a submarine or an automated toilet roll holder Alistair ps any other ideas guys

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Don't laugh.
    The bidder is 30 to 40 miles away.
    This thing weighs about 3/4 of a ton and heavy cast is آ£70 a ton and rising.
    For all you know Luton could be on a sheduled run.

John S.

Leave a comment:

• lunkenheimer
    replied
    Oh, come on, just dunk it in a tub with a battery charger and it'll clean right up! Then some scotch-brite and a can of paint and you've got a newly rebuilt lathe!

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    ...and there's No Reserve! Imagine that.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    That's just a piece of iron ore.

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 03-23-2004).]

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    Actually although we have pictures to see here, sometimes people bid(which I have never been able to understand to this day) without any photographic evidence.
    Imagine you were relying on description alone. Thinking "Oh well just a motor and a little dab of the old WD eh" "just what I need" etc etc etc seems like he could be in trouble. Alistair

Leave a comment:

• x39
    replied
    Actually, with the price of scrap being what it is these days....

Leave a comment:

• NAMPeters
    replied
    They were being polite, the correct term should be privy.

------------------
    Neil Peters

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I was thinking they salvaged it from a ship wreck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X