Beginner Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Exercise

This is going to seem stupid simple to the old heads, but I found this exercise to
    pretty fun.

All I did was take two - 2X3X1 chunks of alum and mill a random area away on one of them.

Then I measured the hell out of it .. and set it aside and tried to make it's mate .. to
    mate to it .. so to speak.

To the guys that have been to school or learned under a mentor ... The concept of
    adding or subtracting the diameter (or sometimes radius) of the bit in your
    measurements is second nature. I'm a little dense and had to really wrap my head
    around this.

I would love to say that the "mate" fit the first time .. but .. I had to shave a little
    here and there to get it right. But the end result turned out pretty good.

After getting them together and running an end mill around the piece ... you have a
    hard time seeing the divide.

The one on the left is the one I made first. It did actually have a few more "walls"
    but they were too thin and and I didn't have a collet to hold a 1/8" endmill to make
    the matching groove.

Here they are together .. the edges did look pretty good .. but .. I couldn't resist
    cleaning them up so that it was perfect.
    John Titor, when are you.

Looks pretty good! What would you say is the tolerance of the fit?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

your mill must be in pretty good shape.

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
        Looks pretty good! What would you say is the tolerance of the fit?
        Ummm .. thats a good question. I dialed in .002 on each side of the groove ( for a total of .004)
        and I don't know if my measurements were on or not .. but .. it was way to tight. And of course
        I decided to do it from front to back .. meaning I had to count backwards. And I used masking
        tape for my edge detection .. lol.
        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Working...
        X