aluminum cost per lb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum cost per lb

Anyone know what a walk-in customer should be paying for aluminum drops in Canada?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

For comparison, here the metal junk yard asks anything between 2-5 EUR per kg, depending on how 'good' it is. Good meaning that if it has the factory markings on it (like 6082) or it is in pristine condition (not warped or banged up), it costs more. But this price also includes 24 % VAT.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I did a bit of research and went to a place that supposedly has a rep for being fairly priced. It turned out to be about $85 before taxes for what I've weighed to be 20 lbs of material in total. 6061 only, no cutting involved, just off-cuts. I know metal prices keep going up, but that seems high to me-

Maybe I've just been spoiled by the place where I usually buy my materials.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Sounds a bit high for scrap, but they are known materials (alloy known) and the raw stok they are from might be a little on the expensive side. Usually all the round stuff goes for a little higher price for some reason at the junk yard I visit, yet there hardly is rounds found after a day or two
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Well, your price works out to $4.25/Lb which is better than I'm getting. Are you near Edmonton? If so, give up the name of this place please.

J

Comment

Local scrap yard charged me $1.00/Lb for used alum. plate and any other scrap. I purchased a bar of 1/2X4X12' for about $80 at my local supplier late last year. I don't know the weight but I thought the price was pretty fair at less than $7.00/ft.

They beat speedymetals price even before shipping, by about 50%. This was 6061.

Brian
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Aluminum extrusion and plate is running somewhere just under $3 @ pound in Vancouver

Comment

A local supplier of aluminum and brass charges me full price for drops. It is marked as to alloy, and neatly stored so they don't consider it as scrap. I don't know if they do that with their regular business related customers but they did with me. Things a getting tight all over I guess.
                Gene

Comment

Well, this was in Langley, BC, near Vancouver. I had read that two places are nearby- the one I went to called MetalMart, and another called MetalSupermarket. I'd hate to see what the other one charges-

I bought some plate about two years ago, and I paid about 2/3 this price for about twice as much material. There was a place called Alaskan Copper that was pretty good then- it's where some of the local shops get their materials. I bought directly from them as a walk-in customer at the time, but that may have changed now. Currently they are at 225 North rd. Coquitlam, BC.

I've just been quoted $300 for 4 pcs, 36 inches long, induction hardened chrome plated shaft, 1-1/4 diameter. Last I checked, 2 inch diameter was $30 a foot. At the rate for 1-1/4 diameter, 2 inch diameter would be over 60 per ft.

Once again, I think my local shop is giving me materials cheaper than the suppliers will.
                  Last edited by darryl; 02-27-2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Jaakko,

Let me see if I understand this. You are buying scrap and they are charging you a value added tax? Shouldn't they be paying the value added tax to you for increasing the value of the scrap???? :-)

Comment

If you want them bad enough they are worth more than everyone else who walks in the door is wiling to pay. They have to be at least costly enough to prevent their competitors or resellers from buying it. In all things you have to be willing to pay more than everyone else if you really want a thing. That is how life works.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Miller View Post
                        Let me see if I understand this. You are buying scrap and they are charging you a value added tax?
                        That's a good question. I can't remember if I pay sales tax on scrap (in the 'States)?
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                        X