"drip brush" for coolant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "drip brush" for coolant?

I had a thought yesterday about a brush that has coolant or cutting fluid being continuously applied to a cutting tool...

My shop is in half a garage and I have a manual mill... So most types of coolant delivery systems is out. I was getting ready to order more acid brushes when I thought it would be much more simple to have the fluid in the handle, place the brush on the cutter and free up some hands..

Anything like this currently? or anybody know of a brush that is hollow that would work?

Wrong side of the pond for you, but theyre pretty universal the world over.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...ush-prod23060/

Comment

All it takes is the right search words!!! Thank you MrFluffy!

This one would be great...
      http://www.partsbrush.com/flow-throu...s/time-saver-1

Comment

What about a bottle with a flexible hose (like a Snap-Loc) and a metering valve of some sort mounted so to take advantage of gravity? Set it & forget it.

Comment

I've used a regular hollow handle acid brush, simply stuck onto the point of a polyethylene squirt ketchup- type bottle. It's only a bit messy as the liquid runs down partly inside, partly outside through the split in the handle. I like acid brushes because they're cheap - I toss 'em when the bristles get messed up.
          Last edited by Frank Ford; 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM.
          Cheers,

Frank Ford
          HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by cuemaker View Post

My shop is in half a garage and I have a manual mill... So most types of coolant delivery systems is out.
            Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by andywander View Post
              Why is that?
              Well, as a joke my wife would say I am lucky I get half, let alone put any machines in there...but her one requirement is that she be able to park in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                What about a bottle with a flexible hose (like a Snap-Loc) and a metering valve of some sort mounted so to take advantage of gravity? Set it & forget it.
                Stan, this is what I am playing with...and then a parts brush on the end...

Comment

Stan, this is what I am playing with...and then a parts brush on the end...
                  I'm not comprehending the need for the brush. Why can't you just let the cutting oil drip out of the hose onto the workpiece/cutting tool?

Comment

Hi Cuemaker
                    My solution to applying cutting fluid is a "Pump" type oil can with a "pipe cleaner" pushed into the spout with the end just protuding

and this gives a constant supply of fluid the rate varied by the rate of pump strokes

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan View Post
                      I'm not comprehending the need for the brush. Why can't you just let the cutting oil drip out of the hose onto the workpiece/cutting tool?
                      Well, without a brush would not the fluid splash and spray, which is what I am trying to avoid? Also, with the brush, I can deliver fluid right where I want it without squirting or dripping...

Comment

Well, without a brush would not the fluid splash and spray, which is what I am trying to avoid? Also, with the brush, I can deliver fluid right where I want it without squirting or dripping...
                        Depends all on just how much of a stream/drip you produce. IMHO it would be better to set up your coolant to have a steady drip on your work so you can free-up both hands to operate the machine. Part of that is remembering fighting a horizontal milling machine for a parts brush that got caught between a slab mill & the workpiece. Surprisingly I actually won the battle even though the brush was missing probably 25% or more of the bristles. Just young & dumb. 1) I got too close and 2) decided to fight a machine tool. Got lucky that time.

Comment

Working...
                        X