A small 4 jaw chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A small 4 jaw chuck

I am in need of a small 4 jaw chuck. A 2 to 3 inch diameter would be close to perfect. I bought a 4 inch from CDCO and it was cheap, delivered on time and equal to the quality needed but it is huge. I looked at Shereline but they were out of stock for a chuck with independent jaws.

The chuck will be in a non-powered situation for faily light loading. If you have one for sale that might meet my needs send me a PM. If you have other ideas share them in this thread.

Thanks in advance

Pete

I have a chinese 3" 4 jaw that I picked up somewhere a few years back for cheap. It's a little rough & sticky but usable after cleaning & lubing. It looks like this one:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-3-4-Ja...item4d024ff082
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

IF you do the EBay, there are a few meant for Unimat and one for a Compact 5 that looks to be quite a bit "thinner" than some I have seen...IIRC the Emco chucks can be a bit more compact

Comment

Pete after posting I realized it might look like as if I were trying sell my little chuck but I'm not. I was just linking to that one to try to help you. Sorry if there was any misconception.

If you need any measurements or weight of mine, let me know.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Milton

I already bought it's sister. It is too heavy. Thanks for the input, I knew you were not selling. Hopefully somebody has/knows of one for sale. For this project it would help if it wasn't "Gold Plated".

Thanks again
          Pete

Comment

Pete,
            Would a spider like used on gun barrels do for your needs? Just 3 or 4 bolts for jaws.

Bob

Comment

The Taig 4 jaw is well made and reasonable price-wise. http://www.taigtools.com/c1030.html

I have just completed some finicky jobs using it on a 4" rotary table.

Geoff

Comment

grab a unimat 4 jaw from ebay. They are well made and you'll be able to sell it for what paid for it if its a temporary need

Comment

I get a catalog from from a company called Micro-Mark, they show some 3 " 4 jaw chuck. here is a link:
                  http://www.micromark.com/SearchResul...se=lathe+chuck

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.

Comment

To try to answer all the input. 1) It is a keeper not a one timer. 2) For what I am doing a spider will not work. 3) It would be nice to have some dimensions as to thickness of the various offerings. If you have any of the options presented could you give me a quick set of measurements.

There are two things I don't want to do, One I don't wish to buy another of the wrong size and two I don't want to build one.

I appreciate all the help so far.

Pete

Comment

TAIG 4-Jaw Chuck, #1030, 3-1/4" dia., 3/4-16 thread mount.
                      ACTUAL: 3.22" dia., 1.25" thick (body), 0.675" tall (jaws), 0.375" width of individual jaw, 3lbs.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That looks like it could be the ticket. The 1.25 measurement is much smaller than the one I bought.

Comment

Those Taig chucks have always looked weird to me...... littl body, and huge outsized jaws coming off it.

Maybe the new ones are not like that?

Looked at the link.........I'm thinking of the three jaw....... The 4 jaw looks fine,

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Pete,

Any good to you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-5...item51a155c5f6

I had a look at one a year or so back, the jaws moved very nicely.

Ian
                            All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Have you looked at littlemachineshop.com ? Probablt too thick? http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...1175&category=
                              Last edited by flylo; 03-02-2013, 01:19 PM.
                              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                              country, in easy stages."
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X