Bearing lube question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing lube question

So I have this bronze bearing with stainless rollers. The past protocol for lubing this bearing (which will be exposed to seawater) has been a heavy grease, which is IMO too heavy. I cleaned out the bearing races and rollers, polished everything up and used a few drops of 30wt.
    Spins like a top now.
    Should I have used grease? I doubt the oil will get washed out, but the grease--it was horrible. Like packing a bearing with cement.

If it were me, I would only use a quality marine grade grease for anything in contact with sea water, oil just aint going to cut it....
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

What kind of service? How many revs? Heat? We love details.

doug

Comment

Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
        What kind of service? How many revs? Heat? We love details.doug
        Yes, like how/why a bronze bearing has stainless rollers?

Photos please.

Dave

Comment

What kind of service? How many revs? Heat? We love details.

doug
          Ha ha, if you're looking for PV values, for practicality's sake it's near zero. They are high loading, however.
          I will get pics up today. I didn't have the camera w/ me yesterday.

Comment

Okay, I took apart another one this morning, this is what I found:

As you can see its a sheave bearing for a block that belongs to a customer. No idea who made them or how long ago, best I can figure is 1989 or thereabouts. Pretty indicative of what you might expect.
            If push came to shove I'd guess intermittent use at about 30 rpm max. Max loading probably around 1000 pounds.

Comment

I think you probably want to go with a grease. Better protection from the elements,
              especially when they may sit at the dock unused for periods of time (through the winter?)
              also, do you really want to climb a mast just to squirt a little oil on a squeaky sheave?
              I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scottike View Post
                I think you probably want to go with a grease. Better protection from the elements,
                especially when they may sit at the dock unused for periods of time (through the winter?)
                also, do you really want to climb a mast just to squirt a little oil on a squeaky sheave?
                WEll, part of the problem is the grease makes the hub turn with the sheave, like you don't even have a bearing in there. In turn the whole assembly spins on the shaft, wearing it. I'm wondering if there's a light grease that is out there that would allow the bearing to act like a bearing.

Comment

If I had to choose, I'd vote grease, not oil.

One problem may be too much grease. Lots of bearing applications don't like (and can be destroyed) if packed full of grease.

That's what I'd try, clean the corrosion out, light coat of expensive marine rated grease, and a preventative maint. schedule to make sure they get recoated every year or two.

Make sure the grease is rated for yellow metals. Some are not...

I'm just making this up as I go along. But that's what I would try first...

doug

Comment

Make sure the grease is rated for yellow metals.
                    Is there some sort of SAE number for this? This sounds like a winning idea.

Comment

Magnalube GX is what I would use.It's a PTFE filled grease with a MDS additive.Safe for all metals,water proof and doesn't squeeze out and run.

http://www.magnalube.com/products-gx.html
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

And find a way to fix the hub to the shaft so it doesn't rotate and wear the shaft. Epoxy perhaps- I would. If you need it to come apart, then maybe a keyway.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                        X