X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POS D Day and counting

Minus 4 days and counting.
    New mill comes Tuesday - yahoo
    Busy until Monday, so Monday got to strip the POS Bridgy and drag it outside.
    Move an articulated drill outside, Myfold MG9 grinder outside and a T&C grinder outside.

I reckon 3 hours to strip and get the POS Bridgy outside ?
    Anyone want to start a book ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

You sound like me & my chinese tractor adventure. I bought a new 25HP 4WD with a loader & it worked great. The dealer got 30HP models with live PTO so I traded & got one. Biggest POS ever made. Every time I needed it it broke. The front ring gear was broken & tack welded in place in the front differential. If my kids weren't home I'd have burned it to a crisp. I couldn't sell it without lying & I couldn't use it as it always broke. I thought I'd own the POS forever. Long story short I ran into the ex dealer took him to lunch & sold it at a loss & found out he had only sold 6 & bought them all back & dumped them at an auction in Ohio. Was the happiest day of the year to see it leaving on his trailer with his check in my pocket. Only time I was glad to lose money.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post

Anyone want to start a book ?
      Go on then - we'll call it 'Worn - in pieces'. Should be an epic
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Peter I think he was proposing a wager not a Novel.

Whe we brought my POS home we had a flatbed truck and a 3000Lb capacity forklift. Went to the loading dock and placed the forklift on the flatbed with the forks pointing rearward and tied it down. A forty minute drive to the Bidgeport and then backed the truck up until it was real close to the mill.
        Un chained the forklift and drove it to the tail end of the truck with the forks under the ram. Picked up the mill and backed the whole shebang up against the headache rack. Chained everthing down. Time 12 to 15 minutes. Return 45 minute drive and reversed the loading process, putting the mill on a pallet truck. Using two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood we proceeded accross the lawn and 150 feet to the shop door. This took 20 minutes and several stout men. Inside and wired in another 15 minutes. So I wouldn't bet much money on John not getting it out the door in 3 hours.

John, Enjoy your new machine

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
          Busy until Monday, so Monday got to strip the POS Bridgy and drag it outside.
          That's just wrong John. You're making it sound like the Yugo of industrial tools.

Am I the only one who is getting anxious for the new mill to arrive?
          Cheers,
          Gary

Comment

Sorry Sir John but no book as I expect you will do it exactly as predicted!

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
              Peter I think he was proposing a wager not a Novel.

So I wouldn't bet much money on John not getting it out the door in 3 hours.

John, Enjoy your new machine

Pete
              Unfortunately It has a slotting head on it that's not going plus a 4" riser block but the biggest problem is I only have a 20" gangway to get the machine down and no lifting gear that can travel thru this gangway. Closest the fork truck can get is 30 feet away and as usual I'm working on my own.

I have a 1 tonne Chinese folding crane that can lift where it is but not move with anything, the legs are too wide to move anywhere round the machine.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yes but you have lots of friends with toys!

Comment

I hope you have a bin big enough to bin it all...
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

I'm tempted to say i'll bin work off for the day to come and give you a hand, I might learn something, and some new words. Could save you a trip tomorrow as well?

Let me know if i can help

Brian

Comment

Dammit John, don't toss the Myford cylindrical grinder!
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I had pretty good luck bolting my pos bridgy to furniture dollys and winching it with a come-along hand winch.

Of course, I wanted my pos bridgy and was winching it into the shop. I expect yours knows you hate it and will fight you every step of the way.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

doug

Comment

Brian, Why not if you are willing, I'll even buy you breakfast !
                          If not be late afternoon before I get there, was popping up to Rotherham on Sunday morning but that's been put off until just after dinner

Robert,
                          Not binning anything only any pure scrap I uncover, The POS has been taken in part chop which suits me as he's offered what I thought was a very fair price to say I don't have to deal with tyre kickers and it will just get shipped to India to make more crap - how fitting, at least the Chinese make their own

The articulated arm drill, the Myford grinder and T&C grinder will just go on Ebay and hopefully find a good home. I have used none of these machines in 8 years so why keep them ? Sooner give useful stuff away than bin it.

I had loads of help when I started from people and you have to return the deed.

Comment

John, it may not be practical in your situation but the guys who delivered my concrete machine bench brought a mobile crane to unload it. Not an articulated hydraulic crane but one of those with a telescoping jib. They lifted the bench off the truck put the front wheels of the crane in the gutter so the bench was just a foot or two off the ground. Then they extended the jib up our (short) driveway, in the front door of the garage and out the back door into the workshop.

Comment

4 1/2 hours.
                              I'll bring coffee if you do it faster

Dave
                              Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Working...
                              X