Atlas 7b shaper vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas 7b shaper vise

Can anyone post some detailed pictures of one?
    I just bought a viseless shaper.
    Looks like it's vise building time.

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
    Can anyone post some detailed pictures of one?
    I just bought a viseless shaper.
    Looks like it's vise building time.
    http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/mac...rDrawing14.jpg

I can post some hi-def photos if you would like to see them. They're huge.

Comment

Why not? I have one loose.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

And some more

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

And, finally

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

a few more of those and you'll be able to retire! 1-800, they do come up on ebay fairly regularly, but usually sell for a fair bit. otoh its a lot of work and materials to duplicate it

Comment

It will keep me in the shop and out of the house for a while. SHMBO likes me a lot more when I stay in the shop.
              Some times she even slides dinner under the door!

Comment

Originally posted by 1-800miner View Post
                Some times she even slides dinner under the door!
                lol, its a good project for sure, I'm just on this new kick - trying to only make the unique from here on in

Comment

At one time Harprit Sandhu sold castings for this vise but they're no longer shown on his site:
                  http://www.harpritsan.com/index.html

You might contact him to see if there is any way to get a set of castings or rent/borrow the forms and have castings made.

Comment

Craig Donges had some castings last year for a South Bend shaper vise. You might be able to adapt them.

John

Comment

The first question is " do you wish a vise that appears original or something that is usable? The vise on my AMMCO is quite simple and could be built from either Cast Iron or Steel. All the main parts are just rectangles in shape. The hardest part being the internal 9/16 Left Hand threads. It is a decent vise but nowhere as "pretty" as the Atlas or South Bend.
                      If need be I could work up a quick drawing.

Pete

Comment

The shaper vise is the same as their milling vise,but has a 4 bolt base. Milling vise has a 2 bolt base. I have one of the milling vises.

Comment

The milling machine and shaper vises are two different animals. They share some construction features, but differ in a few details.

dp and J Tiers information and photos are correct for the shaper vise. This is a link to photos of the Atlas milling machine with attendant accessories. Photos of the vise are toward the bottom of the page.

http://www.manus.biz/Page_8.html
                          Jim H.

Comment

One of the big things that the original shaper vise has going for it is the low overall profile.

John

Comment

Not too difficult to make a southbend or Ammco style vise. This is my my version, under way at the moment. Still need to make the base and various other sundries. It has 7/8" wide jaws and is destined for a model shaper that is almost finished.

I have started making it look more like a casting as per the Atlas style.

The vise has taken the best part of a day so far using 1144. I'll open another thread when I've finished with the whole project.

The 4" size that you need would be a breeze but would entail much more swarf!!!! One advantage I have is ready access to an Ammco vise.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X