Turning cast iron pulley on lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning cast iron pulley on lathe

I want to mount a 3 phase motor on my air compressor. It now has just a 220 volt motor. I will put a 5hp 3phase motor on it so hopefully it will be a little bit quieter and will have just a little more umph when starting on cold days.

I have the motor and a pulley that will work. The pulley has place for three belts but one outside belt slot has a piece broken out of the side. No problem I just chucked it up in the lathe and proceeded to turn the pulley down to a two slot pulley. Went perfect except for the chips flying off the lathe. What a mess. Couldn't stand behind the cutter because the shower of little cast iron chips coming off the lathe. Thank God my lathe has a spindle lever on the right side of the carriage.

I hope I never have to turn cast iron again. I have cast iron chips in every crevice of my body.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Hope you covered the ways with an old rags or wet paper towels to capture the grit. Yes, cast iron is nasty, but machines out beautifully. Why is it that the simple and easy are never so? And yet, we have so much more too learn.
    Cheers,
    Gary

Comment

Cast iron is wonderful stuff until you have to machine it. I solve the mess problem by positioning a shop vac nozzle to capture as close to 100% of the chips and dust as possible. Makes for a much tidier operation and clean-up.

Comment

One offs are easy, but when you turn that stuff 40 hours per week for two weeks, you look like a guy that came up from a coal mine. And hearing protection has to be good, that damn squeel is not nice to hear...
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

And about the time I am covered in cast iron dust, some emergency hydraulic project comes in so I get drenched in oil to boot.

Comment

I always liken it to turning a piece of coal with the mess it makes.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Waterfall View Post
              I always liken it to turning a piece of coal with the mess it makes.

Allan
              ...and then you discover the whole meaning for "mess" when you start machining graphite <3
              Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
              X