Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stupid ******* McMaster Carr!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Stupid ******* McMaster Carr!

    Somebody asked if a particular timing belt would be suitable for use as a cambelt on their Morini and gave a part number.

    'To continue browsing, please log in.'

    Why the hell should I have to sign up to their website just to browse products!
    Paul Compton
    www.morini-mania.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

  • #2
    so they can send you emails
    Will

    Comment


    • #3
      McMaster doesn't sent email unless you ask them to, for invoices and such. They never have specials, so they don't send out advertisements. It is possible that they could sell your email to someone else, but I doubt they do.

      Oh, and their website is totally kick ass. A search and browse engine you can really use. It is worth signing up for.

      It's a shame you're in the UK. I don't think they'll ship outside the US unless you are a blessed customer.

      Comment


      • #4
        McMaster-Carr is the Mount Olympus of industrial supply vendors...in my opinion. Sign up?...I'd promise them my first born, if they asked.

        Ken

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Keith Krome View Post

          It's a shame you're in the UK. I don't think they'll ship outside the US unless you are a blessed customer.
          Don't know if they still run new overseas accounts but they still honour existing ones. I have an account but must admit I have not used it in the last year.
          Problem we have here is EVERY parcel from the USA gets hit by customs - no exceptions, As well as duty you then get a collection fee added which starts to add up.

          Goods from China OTOH get in under the radar most times and if you do get hit the costs are always lower.

          What pissed me off was I paid duty on a breakout board from the US, it went wrong, sent it back for exchange and got hammered on duty again. Then to add insult to injury it went wrong again and got hit a third time. So a $120 board finished up costing $200

          Equivalent board from China is $40 and comes in under the radar in less time than the US shipped ones.
          .

          Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



          Comment


          • #6
            AND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It is possible the USA one came from China in the first place go around.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sasquatch View Post
              AND,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It is possible the USA one came from China in the first place go around.
              No it was poorly made in the US
              Last one they sent it had two pins on one chip bent underneath and not in the socket. Just poor quality control.
              That together with the higher prices was the main reason I stopped buying from them.
              .

              Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



              Comment


              • #8
                McMaster-Carr ROCKS! Nobody else is even close.
                James Kilroy

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've started using McMaster's online ordering at work,it is THE fastest,easiest website to use bar none.It should be the pattern for all others it's so easy to use.

                  Furthermore once the send order is clicked the order is pulled and on it's way in 15 minutes or less.Dam hard to beat their service.

                  So far as privacy they don't sell information to third parties,they won't even answer credit reporting requests.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've browsed their website many times without ever having to sign in. Ditto the other comments about a good website and superior service.
                    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                      Don't know if they still run new overseas accounts but they still honour existing ones. I have an account but must admit I have not used it in the last year.
                      Problem we have here is EVERY parcel from the USA gets hit by customs - no exceptions, As well as duty you then get a collection fee added which starts to add up.

                      Goods from China OTOH get in under the radar most times and if you do get hit the costs are always lower.

                      What pissed me off was I paid duty on a breakout board from the US, it went wrong, sent it back for exchange and got hammered on duty again. Then to add insult to injury it went wrong again and got hit a third time. So a $120 board finished up costing $200

                      Equivalent board from China is $40 and comes in under the radar in less time than the US shipped ones.
                      I sent off a faulty datalogger and received a warranty replacement, which was marked as such, and I never got hit by customs for it.
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

                      Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They may well indeed be very good, but how many people would walk into a high street store if you had to give them contact details first?
                        Paul Compton
                        www.morini-mania.co.uk
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by EVguru View Post
                          They may well indeed be very good, but how many people would walk into a high street store if you had to give them contact details first?
                          If I got a completely dedicated stock boy who would patiently fetch me stock information while I hemmed and hawed about every dollar spent, who calculated pricing endlessly and cheerfully, who allowed me to change my mind with no irritation, and told me the technical differences between similar products, I might indeed give them an email address.
                          Last edited by Tony Ennis; 03-09-2013, 12:10 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Paul,
                            None, same as when you look at an advert and it say POA.
                            What's that all about, they know the price, why can't they tell you.

                            Peter,
                            That's what should happen but they were sending a new board and not a repaired board and declaring the cost. I told them to mark it down as a warranty repair but the cretins still sent the 3rd board out with full retail value on it.
                            Obviously not listening so after the one with the bent chips decided to call it a day, ironically must be well over 200 boards now from China and not one bad one.
                            .

                            Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jkilroy View Post
                              McMaster-Carr ROCKS! Nobody else is even close.
                              Quite true

                              NEVER asks me to log in.

                              Almost always get the items next day.

                              Website is outstanding

                              The only issue is the prices are *not the lowest*. As in often high for many items. But they HAVE the item, and it comes next day.

                              Even so, McMaster is a lot lower than Grainger, and the Grainger website is the worst.... Grainger's website is about the same usefulness as the WalMart website. (I had to look something up on the Wallyworld site as a comparison, and it was horrible)
                              1601

                              Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X