Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Paint Review

Hello Fellow HSM'ists,

I recently did some sweetening up of some tooling and want to share something that I learned. It is about machine paint. I buy a fair amount of used tooling and most of it is in need of said sweetening up. I dis-assembled everything and power washed them, then sandblasted everything. No primer, just paint.

I had previously brushed on some machine enamel on the arbor press but even after 2 coats it still was a little flat on the finish. So I decided to look for some spray bombs instead. A trip to the local farm and home store left me with 2 choices. Rust oleum regular paint at $4/39 per 12 oz. can or $5.99 for a 15 oz. can of industrial machine enamel. I decided to try the industrial stuff. What a pleasant surprise. The regular enamel is something that I have used plenty of times but the overspray left my shop full of mist. Being winter time it is hard to ventilate the shop do I crossed my fingers that the new paint would be better. This new to me paint has very little propellant it seems and very little overspray. I painted a Kurt vise, 2 speedvises, a drill press clamp and an arbor press with less than one can. Two coats on everything except the arbor press which already had the dull finish. It only got one coat. I do think that 3 coats would be better than the 2 that I put on as the finish is not as glossy as the arbor press on the vises and clamp.

The finish also seems quite durable. A couple of days after I painted them I mounted the Kurt vise on my mill and hammered the side with a loaded plastic hammer and it didn't even dull the finish. The paint also comes in several colors. I chose machine gray, or battleship gray as some refer to it as.

Before:

During:

After:

You can see by the newspaper under the items how little overspray there was. You could smell the paint but there was no paint on the hair on my arms or in my nose which was nice.
    No affiliation to rust oleum. Just a satisfied customer.

As a side note. The Dake arbor press was given to me by a guy that lived in Grand Haven, Mi. where Dake is located. I went to buy a belt sander from a guy and this arbor press was laying on the ground outdoors next to his garage. I asked him what he was going to do with it and he told me if I wanted to load it in my truck it was mine. He said he sold his boat and didn't need the anchor anymore. It was full of sand and the pinion was so froze up that it took me about 15 minutes with a rosebud tip and another 15 minutes with a 4# hammer to get it apart. It also didn't have the slotted plate but I found that on another craigslist run. It was free too. So I have a few hours of work and a little paint into it.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

What brand of paint & which farm store? Thanks! Eric
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
      What brand of paint & which farm store? Thanks! Eric
      Eric,

I bought it at Family Farm and Home in Wayland. BTW, what store is it that you get the good price on golf cart batteries?
      Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

Wayland MI?! I grew up there, off of 129th street.
        Got some nice looking painted steel there. I cannot wait to finish my MBA and start focusing on my tools.
        If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy

https://www.facebook.com/WDHSTechClub

Comment

Originally posted by Ggerg1186 View Post
          Wayland MI?! I grew up there, off of 129th street.
          Got some nice looking painted steel there. I cannot wait to finish my MBA and start focusing on my tools.
          Same Wayland. What brought you to Iowa, school?

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

I've used that on a lot of machines and tools. It dries fast, but is not durable for several months. You can dig your fingernail into it for a few weeks. One thing to note - the "newer cans" no longer can be cleaned by turning upside down and spraying. I pop the top (harder also) and clean in laquer thinner.

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
              Same Wayland. What brought you to Iowa, school?

Brian
              Work, I grew up in Wayland/Byron Center, moved to Detroit (hated it) now work for John Deere out in Iowa as an engineer. Love my job but I miss lake MI.
              If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy

https://www.facebook.com/WDHSTechClub

Comment

POR-15. Stuff requires chisel to remove
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I've used a good amount of the Rustoleum "professional" spray stuff too. As said, it will take a month or more to completely, fully harden. Don't misunderstand that to mean I'm saying you can't use it before that. In more recent times, though, I've converted to the exact same labeled stuff, but the oil enamel in the quart cans. It is a true, oil based enamel of the same color (I sorta like it ) but will fully dry in about 48hrs. It requires a full day before a second coat -- unlike the spray -- but the overall hardening time makes it more expedient overall. The brush on oil-enamel also levels much more readily, I have found. That means you achieve a smoother top coat with less prep work (if you care about that stuff). Obviously, no overspray when using a brush, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor View Post
                    Does it come in a spray bomb?

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks View Post
                      I've used a good amount of the Rustoleum "professional" spray stuff too. As said, it will take a month or more to completely, fully harden. Don't misunderstand that to mean I'm saying you can't use it before that. In more recent times, though, I've converted to the exact same labeled stuff, but the oil enamel in the quart cans. It is a true, oil based enamel of the same color (I sorta like it ) but will fully dry in about 48hrs. It requires a full day before a second coat -- unlike the spray -- but the overall hardening time makes it more expedient overall. The brush on oil-enamel also levels much more readily, I have found. That means you achieve a smoother top coat with less prep work (if you care about that stuff). Obviously, no overspray when using a brush, either.
                      Arthur,

Does the brush on stuff dry kind of dull on the first or second coat? I don't remember for sure how many coats I put on the arbor press with a brush but it came out a little dull. Maybe it just needed another coat. The brand I was using was Conco as I recall.

Brian

THINK HARDER

Comment

Ditto on the Rustoleum Industrial. Good stuff. Get mine at Home Depot.

Comment

Brian, nice job. I've lost faith hardware store spray bombs but maybe that stuff is different

Originally posted by Spin Doctor View Post
                          sounds like some great stuff, the instructions sure lead you to believe this is not your grandma's metal paint. What's it like to work with and what sort of finish do you get? doesn't sound like you can dilute it, does is spread well and thin or thick a gooey?

Comment

I love the Rustoleum industrial stuff.
                            It's true that it takes a long time to dry if you leave it alone. Me, I let it dry a couple days and then put it in the oven at 200f to 275 for however long I feel like. Nothing will touch it after that.

Comment

I'm with Spin Doctor....Por 15....only in black,silver and white(bomb proof).....must top coat with choice of color.

I have done a lathe bed ,boat bottom and interior, 4 trailers, burgmaster cabinet, Toyota Matrix undercarriage, 3 cnc coolant trays, tractor cab interior floor, and my new pride and joy...Harley Topper Scooter

http://s167.beta.photobucket.com/use...31384457220196
                              www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

Working...
                              X