Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's you're favorite cutting fluid

...for your lathe?

My friend gave me a little bottle of a sulfur-based fluid, it works great. I get the idea it's pretty common stuff. What's it called? I need more.

What other cutting fluids do you like? I'm just brushing the stuff on, I don't have a flood coolant system.
    Last edited by Tony Ennis; 03-11-2013, 10:42 PM.

WD-40 for cutting Aluminum
    Dark thread cutting oil for steel
    Crisco for tapping

Comment

A9 for cutting, Drilling and Tapping Aluminum. Or under some conditions compressed air

Dark Thread cutting oil for Steel

If you had a flood coolant, which you don't, then one of many.

Some like the mist systems, I can't stand the noise and the change in air quality.

Comment

Swiss lube semi senthetic for flood on aluminum.
        Clean air blast for all steels - i hate misters, everything gets sticky.
        FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

For tapping I like AnchorLube G771.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Bear Oil and Beeswax 60/40.

Comment

Favorite cuting fluide

My favorite... my old rapid tap can with 1,1,1-trichloroethane, always been the best...

But today, I use Tap Magic with EP-Xtra...

Comment

I don't use fluid, rarely I will use tap magic for threading.
                Andy

Comment

I've got a Tap-Magic can, but I just keep refilling it with whatever cutting fluid is on sale in bulk. I think it's Tap-Ease in it right now. I like the small wax tapping sticks, good for applying to rotating cutters on the mill.
                  Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Originally posted by masimec View Post
                    My favorite... my old rapid tap can with 1,1,1-trichloroethane, always been the best...

But today, I use Tap Magic with EP-Xtra...
                    Used up the last can of Rapid Tap a couple of years back. Lately at work I've been using a heavy tapping cut about 2 to 1 with WD-40 in a Squirt Bottle. Save my Tap Magic for tapping in Stainless (316, 304 and Duplex Stainless Steels)
                    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Mineral oil. My all purpose oil for EVERYTHING is crystal clear non smellinG mineral oil .I buy it at the farm supply store ,farmers use it to rub on horses .It cost about $8 dollars a gallon. You can use it all day long and when you shower at night there is no smell on your skin.I even use it for whay oil. However if I have a tuff tapping or threading job ,I still use the smelly sulfer based black oil.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
                        ...for your lathe?

My friend gave me a little bottle of a sulfur-based fluid, it works great. I get the idea it's pretty common stuff. What's it called? I need more.
                        Dark red cutting oil, pipe threading oil, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-70830-D.../dp/B0002YPMUM

http://www.truevalue.com/thumbnail/H...5/c/69/605.uts

Comment

For stainless drilling and tapping I love castrol moly-dee. JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The blood of my enemies. Oops, sorry. Wrong - I was thinking of the best blade quenching fluid.

Comment

My favorite for small taps is castor oil. Clean, the smell is not bad, and the torque required is much less than it is for Rapid Tap.

Neat's foot oil is about as good as castor oil, but smellier. NF oil is great when you've got a dull drill down a deep hole and it's squealing and seizing up. It's amazing how it will reduce torque and allow you to finish the hole.

Yah, I know TD, I'm not a REAL machinist, I'm allowed to do stuff like this.

Comment

Working...
                              X