Rotary Tool Adjuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary Tool Adjuster

Found this device whilst looking through the Gloucester Tooling catalogue.

It's an adaptor for an ER collet chuck to adjust the runout.

A rather poor video;

The cost of this thing starts at around £200 ($300)!
    Paul Compton
    www.morini-mania.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Valuable, reminding me of the more expensive chucks that allow similar adjustments.

Am I missing some "trick" (something engineered in that is not visible)? This looks like it would be relatively "simple" to duplicate at far less cost...

Comment

Gotta get me some of those white gloves so I can be a real, high class machinist.

It is a ring with some set screws in it. It stresses the collet chuck to bend it one way or another. It is changing the angle of the collet bore, not the position. It would not change the run-out near the collet, just several inches (cm) out from it.

They show a long drill bit in the first still. I would guess the whole idea is to then mount the drill bit and have it run true to tenths after removing the setup rod shown. But where do you buy drill bits that are straight to tenths? And how would you know that it is that straight? And a drill bit that long would flex by thousandths, not just tenths. Perhaps it is of more use when using milling cutters? But I have never seen one that long, have any of you? And even a solid carbide milling cutter that long is sure to flex some. IMHO, you would need to be using some super accurate tooling for this to be of any use.

$300? Why am I always in the wrong business? The Chinese could spit them out for under $1 each in quantity. Hex wrench included! But not the white gloves.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

It looks like a nice dea to use if you want deadnuts rotation for a very long milling cutter. That would mean less vibration at the end and more precise work. Any G's you get off from that long tool helps.
        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Working...
        X