No announcement yet.

Is this indexable facing mill any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this indexable facing mill any good?

I would like to buy an indexable facing fill of around 2" wide.

There is one on sale from Wholesale tool for $39 bucks which fits an R8.

Is this a good one or is there somewhere else I should look?
    Vitَria, Brazil

I'm guessing >THIS< one, for general reference.

Comment

That's it.
      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

I like the 4-5 flute face mills more. They tend to be alot more quiet than 3 flute onez
        FSWizard - Free Online Speed and Feed Calculator

Comment

Not the best but they work good . That is the kind I have been using for over 40 years now and the inserts are cheap. About a buck 98 each here . Pack of ten less than $30.00 I use the TPG322 like tat one the best.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Honestly, its crap. TPG's which in general kind of suck, no geometry of any kind on them, just flat top, and then add in that the holder has
            ZERO rake, and its like beating on your mill with a hammer. You can find TPG endmill/facemills with some rake to them, though I couldn't tell you
            where, but I've had them (and got rid of them).

If all you want to do is take some skim cuts to make the top of your part shiny, its perfect. As for actually moving metal, not so much.

If you want to use it use it, I'd look at the generic APKT's, only 2 edges per insert, but you get some real geometry, and they are still relatively
            cheap. If you want just straight up facemilling the SExx's(SEKT?), are really free cutting, and with the lead angle push a lot of the forces back up straight
            into the spindle so you can really get after it.

Comment

Originally posted by bobw53 View Post
              Honestly, its crap. TPG's which in general kind of suck, no geometry of any kind on them, just flat top, and then add in that the holder has
              ZERO rake, and its like beating on your mill with a hammer. You can find TPG endmill/facemills with some rake to them, though I couldn't tell you
              where, but I've had them (and got rid of them).

If all you want to do is take some skim cuts to make the top of your part shiny, its perfect. As for actually moving metal, not so much.

If you want to use it use it, I'd look at the generic APKT's, only 2 edges per insert, but you get some real geometry, and they are still relatively
              cheap. If you want just straight up facemilling the SExx's(SEKT?), are really free cutting, and with the lead angle push a lot of the forces back up straight
              into the spindle so you can really get after it.
              +1!

Everything Bob has said is true. Almost all TPG inserts are made for lathe work, and are made of a carbide grade best for uninterrupted cuts. You may be able to find some tough grades that wouldn't fail in light milling applications, but you're better off finding a true milling cutter that takes true milling inserts.

Comment

A tool that presents the cutting edge at 45 degrees to the surface makes a much better face mill. There are ones that use cheap square inserts. You can either use inserts with a corner radius or a flat wiper on the corner for a smoother finish.

Comment

Those face mills are awful. I had one once. They don't cut the material off as so much as they beat it off. They do work pretty well for wood, though.

Comment

The BEST type for a Bridgeport-class vertical mill is one of those face mills that takes the square inserts, orients them 45 degrees to the work, and tilts them waaaay back for high positive rake. For example, the Sandvik or Glacern 45 degree face mills. You want one with only 3 or 4 teeth, since the more teeth there are, the more horsepower it requires, unless I suppose you get a 6 tooth one and only run it with 3 teeth.

I got a Sandvik 2" 3 tooth cutter on ebay a few years back during the recession when all these machine shops were going out of business. I also got the corresponding Sandvik aluminum cutting inserts.

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag View Post
                      The BEST type for a Bridgeport-class vertical mill is one of those face mills that takes the square inserts, orients them 45 degrees to the work, and tilts them waaaay back for high positive rake. For example, the Sandvik or Glacern 45 degree face mills. You want one with only 3 or 4 teeth, since the more teeth there are, the more horsepower it requires, unless I suppose you get a 6 tooth one and only run it with 3 teeth.

I got a Sandvik 2" 3 tooth cutter on ebay a few years back during the recession when all these machine shops were going out of business. I also got the corresponding Sandvik aluminum cutting inserts.
                      This being true, where is the best place to buy such an animal?

(I also need to order some dovetail cutters if they can be had from the same place.)
                      Vitَria, Brazil

Comment

I know shars has both, but I hate shars, so I hope somebody can come up with a better option.

Comment

I strongly recommend this one!

http://www.ctctools.biz/servlet/the-...CHAMFER/Detail

They only have it with a 20mm shank and a 10pack of inserts costs almost twice the price of the mill, however the mill is only 17$ and it cuts effortlessly in most materials(with lube it is also good for alu but not the best for soft alu though) with a really good finish.

They also have dovetail cutters and while what I have bought from them so far has been good, the hss mills rated for alu should not be used on anything ferrous despite what the site says about them being useable for mild steel(they might have removed that bit, didn't check).
                          Last edited by MasterMaker; 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM.

Comment

The inserts are not leaned back. Do not buy.

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag View Post
                              The inserts are not leaned back. Do not buy.
                              Actually they are leaned back, you just can't see it in the picture.

And you should try it before you give a knee jerk discouragement, it makes 1/16-1/8" deep cuts in steel without much effort and with a good finish as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X