Ford 302 V-8 with trans mounted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 302 V-8 with trans mounted

I really wanted to move ahead in getting the driveline assembled and one of the major hurdles was drilling the crank for the transmission to mount to the bellhousing. I really didn't like the idea of having to disassemble the entire engine to get to the crank so I came up with an alternative method.
    The first thing was to make up an adapter plate with a keyway that would mount on the end of the crankshaft with the flywheel removed. This plate was screwed to another plate with slots to allow vertical movement. When it was in place it would serve 2 purposes, one to align the crank axis square with the machine spindle and two, to prevent the crank from rotating when it was drilled and reamed.
    A friend has a horizontal mill so once I had the plan of attack in place I headed to his shop to open up the end of the crank. With a little shimming of the engine base and indicating the fixture plate we got it within .0005. The crank had been center drilled when it was made so the pilot was already there. We drilled it undersize and then followed up with a .320 reamer. (it was made for a special job).
    Everything went great!
    When I got back home everything was cleaned up and reassembled. I have been waiting a long time to see these two pieces together so I present to you here some pictures of what it looks like.
    We did take a couple of pictures of the engine sitting on the horizontal mill. When I get them from my buddy I will post them.
    gbritnell

Just a beauty George, that is SOOOOO Neat!!

Comment

that is SO cool!
      ZL1OG:KH0EX

Comment

great stuff George, you must be very pleased at how well that huge project came together

Comment

Gorgeous work George I am in awe!
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That's really special, George. Well done!!!

Comment

While this is a magnificent piece of modeling, I have absolutely no idea of what " drilling the crank for the transmission to mount to the bellhousing" means. Since when does a crankshaft bolt to either bell housing or transmission? Please explain this.

Comment

When the engine was built many years ago there was never any thought given to adding a transmission so the output end of the crank was made to support a flywheel and nothing else. When I built the transmission for the engine it wouldn't mount to the bellhousing because the end of the crank was never drilled for a pilot bushing and the trans input shaft would hit the end of the crank. The crank was drilled for this reason. It will still take some work to figure out how to make a clutch work.
                Had the engine been designed and built with a scaled down flywheel it would have never had enough centrifugal force to overcome the compression strokes, oh it would have but the idle rpm would have been up around 2500. When building scale model I.C. engines some things just don't scale down effectively and one is the flywheel.
                As I mentioned in the thread about the 9 inch differential I would like to eventually have a complete chassis with engine, trans, differential, brakes, steering etc.
                gbritnell

Comment

Originally posted by gbritnell View Post
                  When the engine was built many years ago there was never any thought given to adding a transmission so the output end of the crank was made to support a flywheel and nothing else. When I built the transmission for the engine it wouldn't mount to the bellhousing because the end of the crank was never drilled for a pilot bushing and the trans input shaft would hit the end of the crank. The crank was drilled for this reason. It will still take some work to figure out how to make a clutch work.
                  Had the engine been designed and built with a scaled down flywheel it would have never had enough centrifugal force to overcome the compression strokes, oh it would have but the idle rpm would have been up around 2500. When building scale model I.C. engines some things just don't scale down effectively and one is the flywheel.
                  As I mentioned in the thread about the 9 inch differential I would like to eventually have a complete chassis with engine, trans, differential, brakes, steering etc.
                  gbritnell
                  Ahh soooo!! Thank you for explaining so that this grasshopper may understand! Again, the gearbox, at least what I can see of it is beautiful!! Is this a hobby or is this done for ( I hope) serious bucks?

Comment

For the flywheel could you use a tungsten crankshaft weight to gain enough mass and fit in the bellhousing? The work you have done on this is simply amazing.

Comment

Nope, just a hobby. Although I do a lot of jobs for people this type of work would be too expensive by virtue of the amount of time involved. The engine, approximately 2500 hours, the transmission, 800 hours, the differential to the point it is, 200 hours.
                      I have been playing with machinery since my late teens. I served an apprenticeship as a metal patternmaker and worked at it for 40 years. I just really enjoy this type of work.
                      Just adding weight to this flywheel won't help the centrifugal problem. It can only be so large in diameter to fit inside the bellhousing, and so thick.
                      gbritnell

Comment

By the way, if you would like to see the transmission build go to the following link:
                        http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...n-in-1-3-scale
                        gbritnell

Comment

I have to admit I had to let this thread run to find out what was going on here, there was no reference as to if this was a model or not and nothing in the pics for comparison so I just did not know what to think at first, and even though I know people do scale downs im still amazed and am in awe of the quality,

also was interesting to read about the flywheel mass not being enough and such - makes perfect sense

Gbritnell you are one amazing craftsman. great work.

Comment

Gentlemen,
                            Here are several pictures of the setup I used to drill and ream the crankshaft.
                            gbritnell

Comment

are you planning on making a clutch and pressure plate?

sam

Comment

Working...
                              X