OT but at least mechanically related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT but at least mechanically related

This woman is amazing. I certainly could not do what she does, nor could I have at the same age.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#...mas-abbott.cnn

That woman is fine, so fine, except for the tats, branded for life...

One of the things I don't understand about the lug tightening their doing is they only go around once?

WTF? every time iv ever done that even slowly the first one or two lugs I started with need re-tightening - of course I do them all over again - two star patterns on a 5 lug, but their only go 1 time. and it's not on some little old ladies olds that's just used to go back and forth to the pharmacy, that's crazy to me because the first one is just a rough cinch up and half the time does not even center the lug in its taper...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      That woman is fine, so fine, except for the tats, branded for life...

One of the things I don't understand about the lug tightening their doing is they only go around once?

Yep, only once around. The wheels and stud bolts used are built to a bit of a higher standard than those on your average production car.

As far as Abbott, Big Flipping Deal, when she is actually a full time, over the wall, tire changer on a Cup team, then tell me about it. Contrary to what the video reported, MWR does a LOT of things for the publicity, like hiring Travis Pastrana.

Steve

Comment

Interesting posting Stan!! Give her a break guys, she is GOOD!! (Or otherwise she wouldn't be there!!)

Those wheel nuts always amaze me too, like do they EVER get cross threaded or screwed up?

Comment

I watched the Formula One race today and they change four tires in THREE seconds!!! The cars start with a full load of fuel and don't refuel during the race. Awesome!
          Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
          http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Those zip guns they use are not any thing you or I could afford,and they use a lot higher pressure than we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Errol Groff View Post
              I watched the Formula One race today and they change four tires in THREE seconds!!! The cars start with a full load of fuel and don't refuel during the race. Awesome!

Park your car in Liverpool and they can have all 4 alloys off it, respray it, swap the interior and have it in a container to Yemen in 12 seconds.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Formula one wheels have one (big) nut, in the center.

Comment

You forgot the Other one behind the wheel!!!

Comment

The studs have a big full radius nose that is longer than the threads on the nut, that guides it nut in. The threads on the stud are tapered just a bit. I believe they run the impacts on tanked dry nitrogen.
                    James Kilroy

Comment

I believe those guns are programmed somehow also for the torque setting?

Comment

You know - their track record is pretty dang amazing for how fast their putting those things on, I guess im just amazed that it all works as well as it does...

5 lugs and their not even using a star bolt torque pattern, and you think they would at the very least go 6 hits and cover the very first cinch-up one twice, but like i say they get it done and it seems to work...

for those of you that are wondering where the mysterious lugs materialize from to go back on they are already fastened to the replacement wheel in what im guessing is some kind of mild springing to allow for the tightening of the others while they just flex away from the wheel.

This is a good you tube video of the process - hang on for the last part of the vid for slow-mo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiF7l8hjKnE

Here's the thing im not getting - with all this emphasis on speed why not just make one massive planetary unit with an impact powered sun gear and five planet lug tighteners that have individual max torque slip limiters for the tightening direction so no one lug that starts a little earlier holds up the other lugs from getting their proper torque and so it itself will not get overtightened,
                        yet the loosening direction is full on torque for all - two massive handles that basically are connected directly to your ring gear...

think of the advantages - stick it - BLAM the wheels off - replacement wheel goes up Blam its on and on with uniform tightening - sure the GD gun weighs 45 lbs but you get a Haus to handle it (sorry - not the little gurl who will end up twirling around the power hose as soon as the trigger is pulled)

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon View Post
                          Formula one wheels have one (big) nut, in the center.
                          Plus an F1 pit crew is 18 or so guys with three people assigned to each wheel.

Steve

Comment

...........they are already fastened to the replacement wheel in what im guessing is some kind of mild springing ...........
                            They use a silicone caulk to hold on the lug nuts.

Here's the thing im not getting - with all this emphasis on speed why not just make one massive planetary unit with an impact powered sun gear .............
                            One big difference between NASCAR and F1 is that NASCAR makes rules that try to help teams keep costs down. Absolute speed is not important, just how fast your team can do the job within the rules. NASCAR could easily allow another 4 guys over the wall and air jacks under the car but that just adds cost to the teams.

Steve

Comment

Here's the thing im not getting - with all this emphasis on speed why not just make one massive planetary unit with an impact powered sun gear and five planet lug tighteners that have individual max torque slip limiters for the tightening direction so no one lug that starts a little earlier holds up the other lugs from getting their proper torque and so it itself will not get overtightened,
                              yet the loosening direction is full on torque for all - two massive handles that basically are connected directly to your ring gear...

think of the advantages - stick it - BLAM the wheels off - replacement wheel goes up Blam its on and on with uniform tightening - sure the GD gun weighs 45 lbs but you get a Haus to handle it (sorry - not the little gurl who will end up twirling around the power hose as soon as the trigger is pulled)
                              Rule book. Specifically stated what you can use for lug changing tools. I think even the nitrogen pressure is by rule. I know they use 3000 PSI tanks, but don't know the dial down from the regulator. And no, we probably couldn't afford the air wrench, but then, it wouldn't do us any good anyway. It'd simply snap off our tiny studs in, oh, about 1/10 of a second.

Comment

Working...
                              X