Boring Head Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring Head Question

Does anyone have the generic offshore 2" or 3" boring head that is sold by the various tool companies? I've read elsewhere on the 'net that there were "issues" w/ the internal hex on the adjusting screw. I asked the OP of that thread but never got a reply. If you have 1 of these boring heads how is the hex on the adjusting screw on the boring head? There has been another thread where the poster was wanting to replace the screw by making a new one w/ a better internal hex.

Looking @ the Grizzly & KBC catalogs, it appears that both companies (haven't checked Wholesale Tool yet) sell the same boring heads & kits, (albeit cheaper at Grizzly). I'm going to the States in a few weeks & may purchase one. If there are issues w/ this tool I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

I have used 2 and 3 inch imports that didn't have any problems at all.

Comment

Have a set of assorted sizes and I find the hex socket set screws are crap and strip out really easy. Will eventually replace them with REAL set screws, but since I almost never use them I just sat them aside.

Comment

From my experience...
        The only issues regarding allen sockets on the lower cost boring heads I know of are the short set screws on the side -- & not the graduated leadscrew that adjusts the offset of the slide. The three on the side are simple, off the shelf replacements. There is some noticeable backlash in the leadscrew on the one I had (3", Shars). It's workable, though. Always back off and adjust from the same direction - or just stick a dial indicator on the lower slide to confirm change to the level of precision you need.

Comment

I've got a 2" "quality import" boring head I bought from Travers Tool quite a few years ago. I have no complaints. Whether the quality in 2013 is >= the quality in 1993 or whenever it was I bought it, I have no idea.

I have been fairly particular about adjustment. I loosen the gib slightly, adjust the cut, retighten the gib to lock it, make the cut, loosen the gib, ...etc., so I'm never putting much of a load on the adjusting screw.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Guys, thanks for the quick replies. W/o seeing the head I can't say exactly what his problem was, but I don't think "bad" set screws are a big deal & can easily be replaced.

Here is the initial post:
            I have a Grizzly boring head which has some super-sloppy machining. I stuck the main screw on the lathe and cut off some of the extra crap that was obstructing it, but it's still not a joy to use. I think it might work better if I made a new screw. And it would be a fun project, provided I can come up with some means of stamping a few tiny numbers on the dial.

The screw has a dial on one end, with graduations around it, and threads at the other, to go into the body of the head. In the center of the dial, there is a socket that takes an Allen wrench. I can't tell, but it looks like the socket was cut into the body of the screw. It may be that a piece of metal with a socket in it was pressed in there, but I doubt it.
            No mention if the hex socket was too shallow or sloppy for the allen key he's using. If I find that an Imperial sized key doesn't fit properly I'll try a metric key (or vice versa). That will usually cure the issue 99 out of 100 times.

Comment

Working...
            X