Atlas 10 inch metal lathe with quick change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas 10 inch metal lathe with quick change

Hello, I am new to this forum, and I am asking for some guidance. My Dad, age 86, has recently moved into a nursing home. I need to clear out his house for sale.

In the cellar is an Atlas 10 inch metal lathe with quick change. I do not know how to go about moving this out. Do I junk it? Sell it? For how much? If so, how do I locate the sort of person who would be interested in buying it? It has not been used in over 40 years. When last used, it worked fine. I have attached photos. I do not know if there are other 'parts' or 'accessories' which go with it. Dad has dementia, so his workshop in the cellar is a chaos of items most of which I can not even identify.

I would appreciate any guidance this group can give to me. Thank you.

Last edited by Freedom2be; 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM.

Definitely don't junk it. Where are you located? That probably is worth some money. Minimum probably $800. Condition and location will determine how much more.

Comment

Welcome! Around here in good shape it will bring $1000+. I'd list it on Ebay you might be surprised what it brings cleaned up with pics of all the extras.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Lathe looks pretty decent, but you should post where you are located.

Comment

Keep it and use it.
          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
            Keep it and use it.
            I like that idea the best.

Otherwise post it on Craigslist, start at about $800 or so, and drop the price a little every couple weeks until it sells.

Can't tell what kind of base it's on, if it were the factory stand it would be of more value. The accessories, if you post a pic of what he has here, some on the forum are sure to know what they are.
            Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Hopefully you have time to research and learn about this.

Chances are there are more parts that go with the lathe, and you'll do well to learn about them and determine what makes up your entire lathe package. Do some research, both on this forum and via Google, and learn to recognize such things as lathe chucks, drill chucks, dead centers, live centers, face plates, lathe dogs, turning tools, tool holders, threading tools, steady rest, follow rest, milling attachment, and such. Then as you sort through the accumulation you can recognize these items and put together a fairly complete package.

Just for starters, the two red things on the table in front of the lathe are NOT part of it. They are pipe threading dies, so somewhere you should also find a ratcheting handle that they fit into.

By the time you have learned enough about metal lathes to sell it, hopefully you'll decide to keep it and learn to use it.

Where are you located?

Comment

Since no one has asked you yet... where are you located?

;-)

Oh, and don't run it much, even to show it to people, unless you oil it.
                Last edited by Tony Ennis; 03-19-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Other have it covered pretty well. Location is key here! Any attachements you find can only add to the price its worth. If someone is close to you they could possibly even help you sort out the lathe stuff and give a very good estimate on it all.
                  Andy

Comment

I would junk it, and fast.
                    You can't bring it home, the HOA might find out.
                    Then what will you do?

--Doozer
                    DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                      I would junk it, and fast.
                      You can't bring it home, the HOA might find out.
                      Then what will you do?

--Doozer
                      I don't know what the HOA is, lol.

OK, I will be returning to Dad's house Thurs afternoon and will get more photos, to see if we can figure out what accessories are there.

Hey, don't suppose anyone cares, but this lathe is in northeastern Massachusetts! City known as The Town of Methuen.

I did know those 2 red round things are pipe threaders, I have yet to find the handle. Of course, I don't know what the darn handle LOOKS like, so I may have seen it, lol.

I know that the lathe is attached to a large work table Dad made; no stand for it, just the big table. It is quite heavy. Dad and one of his cousins brought it in to the cellar through one of the cellar windows. There is no way it can go up the cellar stairs, due to twists and turns and clearance at top and foot of stairs. So once I find someone who is going to buy it, we will have to remove the window to get it out. I say "we" HA! That is going to need 2 strong fellas! Story is, they got it in through the window and balanced in on a 5 step ladder - broke the ladder.

I chuckled at all the 'keep it and learn to use it' remarks; I'd STILL have to get the darn thing out of the cellar up there and down here where I live; an hour and a half drive and no way it is going in my small car; and I suspect if I put it on the roof my car would be toast! Um,what do you make with this anyway?

OK, I appreciate the list of accessories, I will google to see what those look like. Thanks for the list, John Hobdeclipe.

Tom Ennis, thanks for the advice about oiling it! I wouldn't know where. There are cans - yes large CANS of WD 40, and a variety of oil cans, some are 3 - in 1, some are another sort of oil, I didn't write that down in my noes. And run it for someone? OMGOSH you mean there is an ON switch somewhere? I never even gave that a thought, geesh. I am going to have to spend some time looking at this item and all the others as well.
                      Last edited by Freedom2be; 03-20-2013, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Maybe I should make a separate thread; there are quite a few things in the workshop.
                        - 2 rheostats
                        - Dunlap metal saw 108 1501
                        Drawers and drawers of nuts, bolts and screws, all organized in separate containers, many are marked, such as 1/4" 20's
                        Buckets of metal electrical boxes, all sizes and shapes
                        Variety of tubes ( we had those in our old TV back in 1962 or so - must be a name as to the sort of tubes I mean?)
                        Variety of fuses in these little metal tins

I have photos of some of the items, need to get more. Don't know if I need a different sort of forum for that stuff? The tubes I found on ebay are about $4 per, plus $2 shipping. One such is RCA 6T8 if that means anything to you.

Also 2 oscilloscopes, one a Heathkit 5 inch push-pull, the other is an Eico.

Loads of meters: electrical tester Triplet 630-M, is one.

Is this meaning anything to anyone? Am I going to have to list each item on craigslist? I'll be busy for 5 years just clearing out the workshop in the cellar!

Comment

I have the ridged pipe threader that those cutters go to. This is what the handle looks like:

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom2be View Post
                            thanks for the advice about oiling it! I wouldn't know where. There are cans - yes large CANS of WD 40, and a variety of oil cans, some are 3 - in 1, some are another sort of oil, I didn't write that down in my noes. And run it for someone? OMGOSH you mean there is an ON switch somewhere? I never even gave that a thought, geesh. I am going to have to spend some time looking at this item and all the others as well.
                            It's a decent lathe and seems to be in good shape. WD40 isn't oil, it's a cleaner. The most critical places to oil would be the spindle bearings. You can see them near the cover on the left. They're about 1/4" in diameter, brass, and probably have a flip-up lid. Someone else here can tell you the right kind of oil to put in there - my Atlas is older and has a different type of bearing.

Comment

I suspect this will help in case you haven't found it already:
                              Main Page
                              Atlas Page

Comment

Working...
                              X