milled cube parallels in cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• milled cube parallels in cast iron

I'm looking for the above in either raw cast form or milled. I wouldn't want to spend hundreds of dollars as I will be scraping them myself (Damn that McGyver and his article on scraping).

the first problem is the name of these things:
    cubes
    Grind
    Precision
    Toolmakers
    PRECISION GRIND
    Box parallels
    Cube Parallels
    it's taken me several hours of searching just to come up with the industry standard taxonomy.
    either Box or Cube Parallels (link to suburban tools)

It would be great if someone knows where I can buy them.

thanks
    Rob

If it were me, and I hadn't just scored a couple of old cast iron sash weights, I'd just order square grey iron and hacksaw cubes off that. Would that work for what you have in mind?
    Max
    http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Is it this sort of thingey? http://statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/U-12.html

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by mars-red View Post
        If it were me, and I hadn't just scored a couple of old cast iron sash weights, I'd just order square grey iron and hacksaw cubes off that. Would that work for what you have in mind?
        in a way. I can buy cast iron locally so that's cool. and I did think of this. but then I need to stress relieve it before scraping. I'm sure that's not a big deal, I just haven't researched prices or the place.
        thanks
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by ammcoman2 View Post
          Is it this sort of thingey? http://statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/U-12.html

Geoff
          thanks Geoff, good old statecollege does have some stuff. however I'm looking more for the 4x4x6 or 4x4x4, that kind of dimension.

good find though.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by mars-red View Post
            Not to hijack the thread in any way, but I've heard that sash weights were poor quality cast iron with lots of porosity, hard spots and just nasty to work with in general. Is your experience different from that?

Comment

I brought four home, two were hard as glass and the other two machined beautifully.

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by firbikrhd1 View Post
                Not to hijack the thread in any way, but I've heard that sash weights were poor quality cast iron with lots of porosity, hard spots and just nasty to work with in general. Is your experience different from that?
                I haven't touched them yet but I'll let you know! Thanks for the heads up on that at least now I won't be quite as disappointed if they turn out to be junk.
                Max
                http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

They're also called toolmakers blocks. In Michael Morgan's scraping DVD he has one that he's using as an example. Rectangular, cored in the middle, and he's scraping it true. It ran in my mind that Shars had them but I can't seem to pin it down just now on their web site so they must call it something else, but I saw it as a moderately priced starting point for a scraping exercise with an endpoint for an accurate setup accessory. I'll have to spend some more time searching on different terms or paging the catalog.

Originally posted by rmuell01 View Post
                  I'm looking for the above in either raw cast form or milled. I wouldn't want to spend hundreds of dollars as I will be scraping them myself (Damn that McGyver and his article on scraping).

cubes
                  Grind
                  Precision
                  Toolmakers
                  PRECISION GRIND
                  Box parallels
                  Cube Parallels
                  it's taken me several hours of searching just to come up with the industry standard taxonomy.

thanks
                  "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

cubes
                    Grind
                    Precision
                    Toolmakers
                    PRECISION GRIND
                    Box parallels
                    Cube Parallels

thanks
                    Sometimes called tunnel blocks.

Comment

(Damn that McGyver and his article on scraping).
                      hehe, its a affliction isn't it?

The suburban box parallels/cubes etc are expensive, too expensive. kijiji and ebay would be good sources, I'd bet older ones of suspect accuracy, maybe with a fiew dings and drill bit scars, might not go for much and would make an excellent starting point. The other idea is start from cheapest and gnarliest and worst import stuff. Around here you see made in india angles plates and what not that are inexpensive. So long as the cast iron isn't horriic (and it might be), their accuracy does not matter. You could always have it normalized - I say normalized vs stress relieved as normalized stress relieves and anneals (you don't want to encounter a chill spot, pretty much can't be scraped).

The other option is a big chunk of durabar and drill lightening holes as required. Do you need to stress relieve it? maybe. I've durabar references that I did not stress relieve including a small 1" thick portable 'surface plate'. Because i did not stress relieve them I'm concerned that they might move so i check against granite each use after they've sat for awhile and so far they always spot perfectly. Not to say that's conclusive, but on these pieces at least it appears to have settled at equilibrium and stayed put.
                      Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-21-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Okay, finally found what I remembered. In the Shars catalog there are "Precision Ground Box Parallels" from 4" x 4" on up starting at $44.95 as part number 202-4360. The squareness and parallelism are guaranteed to .0005" (without mentioning over what distance) so your guess is as good as mine. Nevertheless this would be a good starting point and exercise. On the same page they've also got Universal Right Angle Irons (202-4101, 3-3/4x4x5, $24.50 and up) which are like an angle plate with a bracket on the back side. The advantage of using these as a scraping project might be that you've got a squareness self-check in three planes. With a regular angle plate, unless you've got a square reference, you can't work the major surfaces for squareness first because you have no way to check their squareness. You can work either of the other two edges/planes getting them parallel and then square and using your surface gauge and indicator to then do the final and major faces.
                        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                        X