Why so down on lantern toolposts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philbur View Post
    I assume under the adjusting nut is nothing but free air. The adjusting thread is only seated as well as the clamp bolt is tightened, apply some more load when cutting and the thread may adjust its seating.

A four way tool post is sitting block of iron on block of iron, with no overhang in the toolpost and absolute minimum overhang of the cutting tool. Apart from a relatively thin adjusting nut the tool in the picture is basically unsupported all the way back to the tool post diameter , and then is only sitting on a thread.

Phil
    Hey, you think that threaded ring has problems--you oughta see the lathe underneath it and the operator turning the handles! The new VMC won't be here 'til next month though, so we just gotta get by 'til then, LOL. . . .

Jim

Comment

Why so down on lantern tooposts?

Hi folks, I use small and large watchmakers lathes and will not use lantern tool posts for fear of ripping out T slots. This is real expensive. The suggested cures are not acceptable. If you replace the button on the bottom with a T, it is integral with the top part, and cannot allow the tool post to rotate. If a T is threaded to the top part, every time you rotate it the tool height changes (not a lot with a fine thread , but it matters in watchmaking)
      Dave.
      Last edited by ptauser; 03-22-2013, 08:03 PM. Reason: Did not sign it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sun God View Post
        Why does everyone get so down on lantern toolposts?
        'Cause they suck.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
          'Cause they suck.
          +1 on that. And those of you who love them so, don't even know the proper name. It's a "ring and rocker" toolpost. If lanterns had been as bad as these POS, the light bulb would have come much sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by ptauser View Post
            If a T is threaded to the top part, every time you rotate it the tool height changes (not a lot with a fine thread , but it matters in watchmaking)
            Dave.
            Dave, If the T is essentially a shaped washer and a shoulder bolt from the bottom engages the lantern post, this is not the case. The tool height does not change with rotation. Instead of a shoulder bolt, I have also used a blind hole and fine tuned the engagement to a slip fit with the T-slot by putting just the right amount of lead shot pellets into the hole and tightening it up.

Comment

Gary,
              My Lorch KD50 has a 2mm T slot. I don't think this leaves enough room for a washer and a shoulder bolt.
              Dave.
              Last edited by ptauser; 03-23-2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ptauser View Post
                Gary,
                My Lorch KD50 has a 2mm T slot. I don't think this leaves enough room for a washer and a shoulder bolt.
                Dave.
                What? You have a T slot less than .080" wide?

Comment

Originally posted by tdmidget View Post
                  What? You have a T slot less than .080" wide?
                  No, tmidget . It is 6mm wide at narrowest, 10mm at widest. The important measurement in this context is the button size at the base. It is 2mm thick x 10mm diam.

Comment

Working...
                  X