Yow! Cl ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yow! Cl ..

I buy and sell things on Craigslist a lot. It goes with the hobby, and now that I'm retired I made a small trickle income from buying things cheaply and selling them at market value. Today I was posting an ad and I noticed a yellow warning banner saying that externally hosted images will soon be disabled, please to use their (extremely crappy) image system!

W H A T???

I think a detailed picture that's cropped correctly, set up reasonably carefully and shows details is an excellent aid to selling. Furthermore, I host my own pictures, incurring the expense of registering a domain name and paying an ISP to host our Web site. If I can't use my own pictures and have to use CL's, that is not only going to cost them more money, it will make it a lot harder to sell things. (Because their pictures are so tiny and compressed)

Sure wish today were April 1st and this were some kind of bad joke!

metalmagpie

Craigslist is just a free yard sale type website that was not really intended for people to make an income off of(even if it is small). Yes there are people on there doing it. There are sites that cost you money that you can put detailed pictures on to help aid your selling. You should be happy that they are only taking away external images, instead of making you fill out tax forms for the IRS to report the small trickle income you are making on there.

Comment

If it's free for you to use how can you complain? Use Ebay pay the price & b*tch all you want.

Comment

Haven't sold on CL for a few months so just checked a couple of ads and see that you can still upload several perfectly fine pictures with the ad.

Exactly what is "crappy" about CL's image hosting. Works perfectly well for me.

Are you one of the folks who thinks 1024 is the minimum size photo width and makes everyone have to scroll to read posts?

Steve

Comment

Craigslist seems to be determined to make themselves obsolete. I understand they have a huge number of spammers and scammers to deal with but their methods are often slapdash and drive legit users away while doing little to reduce scammers. I haven't been able to post on some sections there for several years because they require phone verification, and their verification system refuses to recognize my office line (which is VOIP based) or my AT&T mobile phone as valid.

I started using CL in 1998 and for ten years it was great. Found apartments, roommates, bought and sold tools, even found three girlfriends on there. Haven't done $#@! there in the past four, it's all *&^# and scams now.

Comment

It works well for me & I apprecate their free service like I do this forum & it's there site so you have to play by their rules or don't play. Simple

Comment

Better idea start a MetalMagpie list, pay all the cost, put up with all the BS, make it worldwide, charge nothing so we can all complain about some minor detail to you. If you hang yourself over this terrible thing don't use a rubber rope cause I'm sure you'll hate that too. LOL

Comment

How about posting links to the pictures you host?

Comment

Just TAKE better pictures.
                  Andy

Comment

I don't have any problems with CL hosting pictures, and, I will be VERY happy when they implement the rules to stop the idiots from linking huge pictures that take forever to load, and link to sites that have no real bandwidth!

Here's one of the idiots. A pawn shop that advertises in the "by Owner" instead of "by Dealer" section. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/3680876827.html Please flag as "spam"!
                    Last edited by lakeside53; 03-22-2013, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I run a free advert site in the UK for model engineers / home shop/

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk

Compared to Craigs list it's tiny but unless you run one you do not know the work it takes. It's impossible to just set one up and let it run because things are changing in the background all the while causing you to keep updating the site and software.

Then the spammers, we get no spammer on our site but let me rephase that , no one sees any spam posts. They never see the literally hundreds of posts that advertise how to spam on forums such as ours, countless links for Powerpoint to Excel conversion programs.

It really is a labour of love.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

There is a lot of stuff that you just can't see in a 300x220 pixel pic.

No, I don't ever use pix larger than 640 pixels in any dimension. In my one or two ads per month.

Easy does it, flylo, I never did anything to you.

metalmagpie

Comment

I'm just voicing my opinion as you did. No problem here. The rubber rope was a joke, hence the LOL

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                            There is a lot of stuff that you just can't see in a 300x220 pixel pic.
                            If people need a better look at what your selling they can come and look at it in person. Good pictures on Ebay are essential for top dollar on a sale because 99% of the time the item is being bought sight un-seen. Craigslist is meant for person to person transactions. Just be happy let have pictures at all. Like the others said, its FREE, if you don't like it don't use it. If your items are priced right on craigslist it will sell no matter what the pictures look like.

Comment

I actually don't post pics too often & I don't put my e-mail because if they are really serious they'll call. If they're bored they will e-mail you to death. At least that's my thought. I do put in the ad call for pics. Spme have had bad luck with CL but it works great for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X