sanding belt speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanding belt speed

I'm building another sanding drum- this one will use a drum that's 6-5/8 OD, and will be a hard-back- in other words the sandpaper (alumina zirconia) will be glued to it. I worked out the math, and with a 3450 rpm direct drive, the SFM will be about 6000. I'm wondering if that's too fast- I also have a 1725 rpm motor, which would give about 3000 SFM. I don't want to exceed the ability of the adhesive to keep the paper on- the edge of the paper coming at you at 100 ft/sec could easily cause some serious damage.

I'm not after high-speed metal removal rates, but it sure seems possible at that higher speed. Both motors are 1 hp- that's the rated anyway. The drum will be made from steel pipe, surfaced smooth and concentric, and I'll balance it as best I can.

Higher speed or lower speed?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Certainly no expert,, but i have a "Do-All" belt sander that runs with a 7in main driver to a 2 1/4? small drum driven by a 1725 motor , ---The large drum fits on the motor shaft,,,,,,, and to me it seems just right.

Comment

That's about 3200 fpm. All things considered, I think I'll go for the slower speed.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
      X