Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photobucket seems to have used their brains......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photobucket seems to have used their brains......

The Beta I had imposed on me for a while had all photos in the main area jammed into one long string, no pages, no way to "skip ahead", etc. You had to push the "ahead" button, and wait for the next few to load, then repeat as needed to get to what you wanted.

Apparently a LOT of folks howled about that......

Because PB retained the old page format as a default, and gave the OPTION of creating "stories", which seems to be their name for a series of photos.

Now, maybe they had little choice, but many companies would have rammed their "good idea" through regardless..... Facebook wouldn't have even blinked, microsoft might have hesitated a microsecond or so, and many others would have at least replied to requests, claiming "overwhelming support for" the new format and proceeded.

To their credit , PB did not, they gave everyone what they wanted, to the best of their ability. I like that, it's rare, and different.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I was just on there the other day and noticed that as well. You still have to do an extra step to get the image codes compared to the old.

Comment

I am thrilled with use.com free image hosting for a few reasons.. Huge pics allowed (click thru for detail), they give you codes for everything - automatically. Easy upload without flash. Public or private galleries.

Bonus - you don't even need an account to host images. Weird but true.

I'm not quite sure how their business model works, but for now it works great for me.

PB's javascript was always broken with my browser and it was a complicated and difficult chore to do anything, especially get codes and links (hello? What is the main purpose of your site?). I am so done with them.

Comment

<I am thrilled with use.com free image hosting f>
        Is the URL for this just the "use.com" with the obligatory www ??
        ...lew...

Comment

Don't need anyone else.... most of the others I have seen used take 10 min to load the picture they are serving, because you have to wait for all the ads to pass by first.....

PB always just worked, then they messed with it, but now they have let it just work again..... I'd rather the link was easier, but whatever......

PB gets the recommendation from me, for what that's worth. And you know I am an opinionated and hard to please old bastard.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            And you know I am an opinionated and hard to please old bastard.
            HUH? You must be confusing yourself with someone else

Comment

PB got things messed up for a while but it works easier again now. I have to many photo's on PB to switch to another site and I really haven't had that much trouble with PB.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Yeah, I don't think he's that old.

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                  I was just on there the other day and noticed that as well. You still have to do an extra step to get the image codes compared to the old.
                  Also........... I've found that the album always defaults back to Library and I can't select more than one picture at a time to upload.
                  This is a big time waster.

JL...................

Comment

Sorry if I am going against the flow here, but I liked the beta version and complained about the change back to page after page after page after page (add about a trillion more "after pages") format. I found it MUCH easier to just scroll down a single page than to click and wait for the next page to load and repeat that many times to find the photo I wanted.

What I would really like to see there would be some kind of flexible or relative link (.img and the others) that would update in all other sites where you have used it when you reorganize your photos on Photobucket. At the present, if you move a picture to a new album (directory/folder) the link is broken and you have to go to all the other sites where you used that link and replace it with a new one. That sucks!

It would also be nice if they had a way of replacing a picture with a new version of that same picture and KEEP the original links. This would eliminate a lot of the missing photos seen here and on other BBs.
                    Paul A.

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

You folks must be looking at a different Photo Bucket than I use. I just went
                      there to see what this is all about and can't even look over the pix I have stored there. I even see something I didn't up load and the IMG thng doesn't
                      work that I could find. The pix that I see are all messed up (not in any sort of
                      order) as I uploaded them. It sort of reminds me of "playing 52 pickup" with
                      a deck of cards. In other words it STINKS!!!
                      ...lew...

Comment

I must admit when they did the change thing it took me forever to figure it out lol Guess Im used to it, seems to work ok for me so far. Going to have to check for bad links in other places, as I did move some pics to folders. Didn't realize that would mess the link oh well lol

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

It would also be nice if they had a way of replacing a picture with a new version of that same picture and KEEP the original links. This would eliminate a lot of the missing photos seen here and on other BBs.
                          You can.

Delete old picture, but note the name very carefully.

Add new picture to SAME ALBUM, with SAME NAME.

Every time I have done this, it worked.

Wait a while before adding the new one.... you need to have the deletion propagate through the system, they have mirroring etc. Otherwise the mirrors may never update because the name isn't changed. I suspect they would regardless, but it takes a bit, and I have mostly wanted to fix it pretty much right away.

As for the other issues, I HAVE noticed that some thumbnails weren't there, but the underlying pics WERE.... so the links should still be good.

Sorry, I HATED the scrolling.... but, knowing no better, I had one huge file..... 35 pages or so, it took for freakin ever, when I KNEW it should be on page 24 or so..... and could skip there at least 2 at a time, or start from end and go back.

The scrolling was a lot slower than the pages, too.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                            Add new picture to SAME ALBUM, with SAME NAME.
                            JT - One thing to add - for this to work the new 'filename scrambling' feature has to be turned off, otherwise you cannot generate the same name again.

User Settings / Privacy / File Name Scrambling -> Uncheck 'For Future Updates' box / Save ...

(N.B. For those with itchy trigger fingers - just to be absolutely clear - DO NOT click 'Scramble File Names' !!!)

Paul - As regards the paging, I don't have a very large number of files in one album so I can't be sure, but it looks to me as though selecting 'Organise' mode puts all the thumbnails on one page ?

Then - select one (or more) thumbnails and click 'Link' at the bottom of the screen to pop-up a panel with a single (or multiple) link(s).

Joe - Uploading multiple pictures requires multiple selection before starting the upload by drag-drop. (Control+click to add individual files to the selection, or click first file and Shift+click last file in a group to select them all.) Then drag them all into the Photobucket box at once.

Lew - The pictures are now sorted either alphabetically or by date taken - not by date uploaded as previously. (I think I read that's under review.)

The 'quick links' displayed under each thumbnail, as enabled by:-

User Settings / Albums / Check 'Easy Linking Mode' box / Save ...

- don't automatically copy when you click them - you have to select the code text, then right click / copy. (You can select the code text by either by clicking the description ('IMG code' etc.) or triple click the code text itself inside the little 'button'.)

However, the links in the larger link boxes - displayed on the single image page or when using 'Organise' mode DO copy automatically when clicked.

If posting an image to the forum, either: use 'IMG code' and paste directly into the text box, or use 'Direct link' and paste into the 'Insert Image' dialogue box.

Cheers

Comment

Your right the whole site stinks. I have all of the above mentioned problems and then some. The new site acts differently on both of my laptops.
                              Just when you get the original site figured out they change it. It's just a huge time waster. By the time you get this crap figured out they'll change it again.
                              The best thing would to be able to just drag pictures directly into you posting with out the need for a picture hosting site.

JL...........................
                              Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                              You folks must be looking at a different Photo Bucket than I use. I just went
                              there to see what this is all about and can't even look over the pix I have stored there. I even see something I didn't up load and the IMG thng doesn't
                              work that I could find. The pix that I see are all messed up (not in any sort of
                              order) as I uploaded them. It sort of reminds me of "playing 52 pickup" with
                              a deck of cards. In other words it STINKS!!!
                              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                              X