cxa holders on a bxa tool post?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cxa holders on a bxa tool post?

Just bought a bxa qctp and it takes 1/2" shank tools. I have some 3/4" shank tooling - do they make 3/4 bxa tool holders or would cxa holders work on the bxa? My lathe swings 14 1/2" so is in range for either the bxa or cxa..

Thanks,
    Jason

CXA holders will be to big to fit on a BXA post. Some of the cheaper holders aren't to hard so you might be able to mill the slots out bigger.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      CXA holders will be to big to fit on a BXA post. Some of the cheaper holders aren't to hard so you might be able to mill the slots out bigger.
      tried that - ruined a perfectly good end mill, should have tried a file first. A sharp file cut the holder but just barely..

-J

Comment

Might have to make my own holders... I didnt try the tooling with a file to see if it's soft enough to mill down to 1/2"

-J
        Last edited by jason.weir; 03-25-2013, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Are you sure you have a BXA qctp?
          I have an AXA and it uses 1/2" tool bits.
          From what I've seen BXA toolholders use up to 5/8" tools.
          Of course, that dosen't help with your 3/4" tooling.
          I cut it twice, and it's still too short!
          Scott

Comment

Oversize 3/4" tool holders are available from Dorian for the AXA tool post so they should be available for BXA also. You might want to be sitting down when you get the Bill. They are like $75. I have machined lots of tool holders of several different brands and there is lots of variation in hardness. Some work easy and I have destroyed several good carbide endmills. CDCO holders in the BXA size are 5/8". I usually modify the insert bar to fit the tool post block.
            Byron Boucher
            Burnet, TX

Comment

Make your own adapters !

Here is one I made for a AXA in order to use a 1 inch tall parting tool
              All you need to know is that the Toolpost needs to be near the edge of the compound, so the holder
              will clear the compound and give you the proper tool height for your lathe.
              You can see this in the 3rd picture, where the holder is lower than the AXA tool holder
              Rich

Comment

Easy...Just make a piece of "rectangular" steel to fit between the BXA toolpost dovetail and CXA holder. I have the same problem with CA holders and CXA toolpost.

Comment

Originally posted by jason.weir View Post
                  My lathe swings 14 1/2" so is in range for either the bxa or cxa..
                  Swing or centre height is irrelevent. It's the distance from the spindle centre to the surface on which the post is mounted that matters. How much distance would you have under the tool shank with the tip on centre height? Removing metal from the bottom of the tool slot on the holder gives less support to the tool, but may be acceptable. Removing material from the top of the slot is not going to be a problem. With very large shank tools you may be able to cut a dovetail in the tool shank and use it direct on the post.

Some cheap tooling importers supply AXA size holders to fit the BXA size post, but they do that simply to save metal and lower costs.
                  Paul Compton
                  www.morini-mania.co.uk
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I have a BXA Phase II QCTP on my 13 X 40 lathe and it uses 5/8" tools. 5/8" is standard for BXA.

Comment

Originally posted by GNM109 View Post
                      I have a BXA Phase II QCTP on my 13 X 40 lathe and it uses 5/8" tools. 5/8" is standard for BXA.
                      Yup - mine is 5/8" - I didnt measure it just knew the 3/4" stuff didnt fit... I'm going to try to cut the 3/4 stuff down tomorrow and we'll see how it goes..

-J

Comment

The shanks on many insert holders can be milled down to fit the tool post holders.
                        I prolly have near a dozen 1" shanks that I have milled down to 3/4", with a carbide end mill.
                        A quick pass or 2 on the bottom of the shank and you're in business!

Rex

Comment

Originally posted by jason.weir View Post
                          Yup - mine is 5/8" - I didnt measure it just knew the 3/4" stuff didnt fit... I'm going to try to cut the 3/4 stuff down tomorrow and we'll see how it goes..

-J
                          I had a parting tool holder that I got from CDCO. It was 3/4" to hold a 1/2" parting blade. I took one BXA holder and opened it up with a 1/2" carbide end mill to clear the 3/4" parting tool holder and I use it just for that purpose. I guess you could cut your tools down, but it's a lot of work. you might consider opening up a few BXA holders. They are relatively inexepensive and that way you could use most of your 3/4 tools without modification.
                          Last edited by GNM109; 03-26-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Many people misread the tool holder drawings, they don't directly specify the slot dimensions.
                            Paul Compton
                            www.morini-mania.co.uk
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

If you look down mid page on the link below, Dorian offers "Oversized" blocks, AXA that will take 3/4" and BXA that will take 1" ETC.

Sure as hell not cheap, but available.

http://www.industrydepot.com/DorianToolToolHolders.htm
                              jack

Comment

Working...
                              X