DRO Help Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRO Help Needed!

I'm looking at Chinese DRO kits & have it narrowed it down to 3 choices. #1 Sinpo shipped from china http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINPO-2-axis...item4abb2dcf53

$2 Ditron shipped from california http://www.ebay.com/itm/SINPO-2-axis...item4abb2dcf53

And #3 Tpactools shipped from chicago http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRO-2-AXIS-M...item35c57ed572

I e-mailed all 3 over the weekend & #3 replied right away, has been on ebay a long time & has given me the most help & has a simple 5 year warrenty, if it's my fault no warrenty, if it's the products it's covered. #1 e-mailed today & tried to be of help but did not seemed well versed on the product. #2 no response & low feedback. Also I planned on 2 axis is there any reason to go 3 axis? I'm leaning to #3 but wondered what you guys think, so give me the good, bad & ugly! Thanks in advance for the help!
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

I have the 3 axis Sinpo on my mill. Had to fab some of the bracketing. Overall it's been good.

Comment

Look at #3 & tell me if it looks like your Sinpo if you don't mind. Thanks!
      ~ James Madison

Comment

Nope...it looks like #1.

Comment

flylo, I bought from these guys
          Like any kit, you will have to make parts and pieces to mount the scales to the knee, saddle and table.
          Do not buy too cheap either, it is better to spend extra dollars now than spend a lot more later.
          Dan.

Comment

I purchased a 3 axis Eason DRO from Quality Machine Tools for not much more than what the systems from China cost. I would certainly buy from someone that has a reputation at stake here in the U.S.

The 3rd axis is most certainly worth having. You could always buy a quill mounted DRO but you'd really need to buy a quality version to get an accurate and repeatable unit and for the money you could buy the 3rd axis and only have to look to one visual location for information. I put mine on the knee and sometimes wish I had another unit on the quill but for most operations I'm satisfied with the 3rd axis on the knee. It would require replacing most of the unit to add the 3rd axis later. I would do it now, take my time and put in a quality installation and go on with making stuff.

Ron
            www.breseplane.com
            http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com

Everything will be okay in the end, if it's not okay then it's not the end.

Comment

Read a lot about DRO's over the past few years, and from what I have gathered is it all really comes down to the glass scales. Dont think it matters much about the control unit, as even cheap chinese ones are about the same quality as US made ones, just cheaper. The scales on the other hand seem to make all the difference, and I have found units with varying resolution.
              While I know evryone (including me) would like to buy brand name stuff, you end up paying a big price for the name. Yes the quality may be better, but I guess it all depends on the use. I only buy power toold made by Milwalke, Rigid or similar, as they are in constant use with my "paid work", but that doesnt mean I wont buy "cost effective" when getting stuff for my hobby. I dont buy $200.00 indicators, i buy $18.00 Princess auto ones, same for some of the hobby toold (Calipers etc).

Was looking at these ones a while back, but while nice still out of my "justifiable" price range

http://stores.ebay.ca/DROStore/Digit...=p4634.c0.m322

I guess it all comes down to how much you want to spend.

Comment

Anyone running magnetic scales instead of glass? Seem like they might be worth the upcharge. If you are using magnetic how do you like them? This is going on a new old stock Chevalier FM-3VS so I want good stuff but I've found sometime in this industry prices can be double ftom on place to another or on a rebranded item. Case in point I need the long scale for a Alilam DRO. It's the same scale used by AccuRite. Anilam just under $250, AcuRite just under $500.
                ~ James Madison

Comment

Last fall I purchased the EL 400 2 axis DRO with magnetic scales from DRO Pros. So far it's worked flawlessly. There is a warning in the installation manual not to get magnets too close the the scales. Apparently a magnet can affect the accuracy. Having said that I called them and asked about using an indicator with a magnetic base. They replied that as long as the magnet wasn't setting on the scale cover it shouldn't be a problem. I have used a magnetic base indicator dozens of times without any problems.

The other day I was roughing in a couple angle blocks to get them ready for surface grinding. I wanted them to be the exact same finished dimensions so after squaring everything up I put a magnetic chuck on the mill table to make the final cuts. I aligned the blocks, turned the handle to lock them down and started cutting. After finishing 4 of the 6 surfaces it dawned on me that the magnets in the chuck were probably 10 times stronger than the ones in the indicator holder. I got a little nervous for a few minutes but all turned out well.

Just to be certain there was no damage I fixed a 1" gauge block to the table and used an edge finder to locate both ends. All was well so I tried a 2" & a 3" indicator standard. In each case measurements were within .0002 Which is as low as the calibration goes. I'm confident there was no damage, but don't think I'll repeat the use of the magnetic chuck in the future. (Too bad I used to use it regularly to hold small and odd shaped parts.) I never thought of that situation when I opted for the magnetic scales over the glass ones. I was more concerned that the magnetic ones were impervious to coolant, and could be cut to length if necessary.
                  Last edited by projectnut; 03-26-2013, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to reply as this is really helpful & I'm learning alot. Please keep it coming!
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

There was quite a discussion on magnetic scales in this thread http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-for-the-Lathe
                      I am currently in a similar situation in that I am considering a DRO for my lathe (already have 2 axis on my mill).
                      I am trying to decide on magnetic vs. Glass.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                        Anyone running magnetic scales instead of glass? Seem like they might be worth the upcharge. If you are using magnetic how do you like them?
                        I'm running a 2-axis magnetic system from Dro Pros on my big mill/drill and am really happy with it. It works as least as well as the Accurite system on my mill at work.

I've only installed a couple of DRO systems, one being the Chinese scales and cheesy 3-axis readout, but the magnetic system is much easier to install. The read heads and scales are seperate pieces, and the read head only has to be held in close proximity to the scale. If the alignment is off, it will simply not read, but it won't damage the scale, as can happen with glass scales.

I'll be transplanting it to my Bridgeport, or buy a new one from Dro Pros if the mill/drill sells with the DRO.

Comment

I have a 2 -axis Newall DRO on my lathe. The scales are hermetically sealed tubes that are completley unaffected by oil, dirt, chips, what have you. The carriage scale is a 1/2" dia. SS tube. The cross slide scale is a carbon fiber tube about 1/4" dia. Very easy to mount on the machine and more than enough mounting brackets and hardware came with the unit. Could not ask for better performance in the 8 years since I got it.

RWO

Comment

Working...
                          X